4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Going with the Zex Dry Nitrous Kit, 2 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:19 AM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Default Going with the Zex Dry Nitrous Kit, 2 questions...

1st question-

Do i need to change my spark plugs for a 75,100 shot?
if so, what plug should i buy?

2nd question-

How do i change my spark plugs?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:26 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Going with the Zex Dry Nitrous Kit, 2 questions...

I have never heard of having to change plugs to run nitrous.. FI requires you to put in a plug with a smaller gap, but I dont think you have to with the spray.

Not sure if your messing with us on #2.. but anyways, Plugs are easy to change. just a 5/8 spark plug socket, an extention or 2 if you dont have a very long one, trace your wires off your coil packs.. the cover they go behind? Pull that off. Pull the boots off of them and there ya go. Throw some anti seize on the new plugs and put them back in. Torque just a slight bit.. dont want to over torque them or they will be a pain to get back out.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

I've heard that when you put nitrous on your GT you need to get colder plugs? I really dont know what that even means, or what plugs to get?

Yeah i have never done a spark plug job on a Mustang and i'm still alittle unclear about how to do it?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

yea i have heard you need colder plugs gapped differently. im not very knowledgeable on it, i just know what i have learned from others here on the forums. do some browsing in the Pipes, Boost, and Juice section. i believe NGK makes a plug that is highly recommended. and you are supposed to gap them at around .042" from what i have heard. i have not learned much more cuz i have no gotten the nitrous yet. and im in the ame boat as you for knowing about installation. i dont know if you have to do something special with install for the gap or if you just do it normal and the spark plugs are made different. im more or less retarded when it comes to working on my car.

ps...is your car a daily driver? what made you decide to go with nitrous? do you feel that it is safe enough for the engine?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:21 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

You might need to change plugs if your going with a larger wet kit... but on a 100 shot dry (I havent done it myself but am planning to), I have not read anywhere or have seen any reccomendations to change your plugs. The gapping on thespark plug is the distance the spark travels. The farther the gap the colder, the closer the gap the hotter... People with FI need a smaller gap because of all the air being forced into the cylander. They also have to change plugs much more often.

Lol, were all new once so I'll type it out for your. Its really simple on these cars. Follow the plug wires off your coilpack to the cover on top of your valve covers. You will need a pretty long extention or 2 extentions if you dont have one long enough. Facing the engine, the right side will be pretty open, and the left side wil have your intake stuff over it. You will have to pull off a part of your air intake to get to them on the left hand side but its usualy only couple of clamp screws. On the right hand side facing from the front, just follow your wires to the cover, take the cover off and you will see 4 round plastic things that have the wire attached to them. Pull one of them off and you'll see its a pretty long piece. If you look down in there you will see your plug. You put your sparkplug socket on the end of an extention and slide it down into there. Turn it left to remove the plug. THe plug should come out in the socket. Put a new plug in the socket, put just a dab of anti sieze on it, slide it down into place and turn it right till it stops. At that point put just about a 1/8 turn of torque on it, not any more then that if you ever want it to come back out. Slide the boot back down onto the plug and do the same thing on the next 8. Put your covers back on, then on the left hand side put your air intake back on. Make sure to plug in anything you had to unplug.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Hav, i'm going to wait untill i get my JLT RAI, the Zex dry kit, and i'll just do the plugs, intake, and nitrous all in one day...

I wouldnt run more than a 100shot and will probably just run 75 shot most of the time. so if i run the 75 shot do i even need to retard timing, or need new plugs?

CarRamrod: My car will be a daily driver in the summer. I decided to go with the nitrous because i didnt want to spend $5000 on a supercharger that i would never get my money back on when i decide to sell the car.
I want that extra nitrous kick so i can beat all the local guys around here in there mustangs.

Do i think its safe? Yes. Im sure you've read all the horror stories on here about nitrous like i have, but if you set it up correctly, especially with the ZEX kit's becuase of the nitrous management unit and dont run more than 100 shot i think you will be fine.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:06 PM
04GTMustang

I would reccomend the NGK TR6 plugs with a gap of.035 for NA engines and a gap of .030 for forced induction. These plugs are one heat range colder than the stock plugs. Just check them every 12,000 miles or once a year whichever occurs first.
Another good plug id the denso Iridium for stock heat range the IT 16 is good but if you want heat range cooler than stock then go for the Denso Iridium IT20. YOu should go one step colder of a plug for every 50 HP shot of nitrous. Hope this helps. oh and make sure you torque them down to 20 ft lbs and use a small amount of anti seize if you need to, and definately make sure the engine block is cooled down before you do this.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:38 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

DEFINITELY changes the plugs to NGK TR6's and I recommend the gap right around .038
Old 03-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

why is it recommended to run different plugs with nitrous?

What would happen if i run stock with a 75 shot?

what do these NGK TR6 plugs do that the stock ones dont?
Old 03-08-2006, 05:20 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Wick001

why is it recommended to run different plugs with nitrous?

What would happen if i run stock with a 75 shot?

what do these NGK TR6 plugs do that the stock ones dont?
They are a colder plug. "I" would run a colder plug, but that's just me. They are cheap insurance. I am overly cautious.

Quick Reply: Going with the Zex Dry Nitrous Kit, 2 questions...