4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Saleen Supercharger Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:25 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

Default Saleen Supercharger Question

I have a chance to buy a saleen series IV for a very good price. Only 6 months old, or so I was told. Does Saleen make a good supercharger? What should I look for problems wise? What boost does it run as is? Also it comes with a saleen chip that has to be reflashed for my car...I was told it can be done at any ford or saleen dealership....Is that along the same lines as getting a dyno tune? I'm guessing a dyno tune would be better....Anyone know how much it would cost me to have the supercharger installed, and a tune done? Thanks in advance, sorry about all the questions but I may be buying it tonight/tomorrow....
Old 03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen Supercharger Question

ORIGINAL: nopropslaw

I have a chance to buy a saleen series IV for a very good price. Only 6 months old, or so I was told. Does Saleen make a good supercharger? What should I look for problems wise? What boost does it run as is? Also it comes with a saleen chip that has to be reflashed for my car...I was told it can be done at any ford or saleen dealership....Is that along the same lines as getting a dyno tune? I'm guessing a dyno tune would be better....Anyone know how much it would cost me to have the supercharger installed, and a tune done? Thanks in advance, sorry about all the questions but I may be buying it tonight/tomorrow....
thats alot of questions.

1) saleen makes a good supercharger.
2) unless you see some cracking or major play in the rotating assembly it'll be hard to diagnose problems by just looking at it. or, get someone who really knows about blowers to look at it
3) i think the series iv, those kits marketed for 99+ gt's were like 6-8lbs of boost, they could probably do more with the right pulley.
4) its not the same as a dyno tune, a dyno tune is more of like a true optimization. the reflash will probably be good enough if it doesn't cost too much
5) i think dyno tunes go for 400+ unless you know people, finding a place that'll do the install and the tune may save you a couple hundred opposed to doing them seperately.

good luck
Old 03-08-2006, 11:09 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

It all sounds good....I was told that the kit wll come with EVERYTHING I need to install it...I know it comes with 30lb injectors....but this kit does not require a higher volume fuel pump....Would you guys recomend getting a higher volume fuel pump, say a svt focus pump? What would this do?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

yes you'll have to swap fuel pumps, or look into the kenne bell "boost a pump"

you might need a cobra fuel tank also

HTH
Old 03-08-2006, 11:55 PM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

I have a KB boost a pump for sale. I used it for one day, its yours for $60.00.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:03 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nopropslaw

It all sounds good....I was told that the kit wll come with EVERYTHING I need to install it...I know it comes with 30lb injectors....but this kit does not require a higher volume fuel pump....Would you guys recomend getting a higher volume fuel pump, say a svt focus pump? What would this do?
Saleen is selling these blowers for about $4000 (if you e-mail and ask about them, they will likely take 10% off the $4400 they want). They make 6lbs of boost. Fallstar has one, and he's up at 400 RWHP and is calling it a miracle. Think of the Saleen blower as the poor man's Kenne Bell.

If they say you do not need to swap the fuel pump, then you don't need to swap it. If you are going to put a smaller pulley on it, and will want to make more power, look into the SVT focus pump. What it will do is provide more fuel flow (liters per hour) to those 30# injectors.

If 400 RWHP is going to be enough for you, then the Saleen blower is fine. If you want more (up to 600), go with the KB 1.7L... if you want more than that, go with the KB 2.2... that's sticking to twin-screw type blowers.