4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 02:15 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Synthetic oil

ORIGINAL: yellowcobra

5W-20 here Mobile one also and just to let you know once you go synthetic you can't go back so make sure thats exactly what you want to do, but i wouldn't know why you wouldn't.
Not true. My Family owns a chain of Texaco Oil changing stations, and I personally talked to the regional Mobil representative, he said that is a rumor that you cant go back. If you want to go back, just flush the engine. But you probably won't want to go back.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:18 PM
jcassell1

Can anyone post a real reason why you cant go back and not a "I heard.... or Someone told me...." Can someone post the facts as to why you cant switch back?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:56 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ackuric

the guy that said it doesnt make THAT much of a difference needs to be smacked.

it helps keep your engine cleaner, you'll have to change your oil half as much, so the cost of the oil pays for itself, and then some.

I gaurantee you if you go from regular oil to synthetic you will gain at least 1 hp

OOOOOOOOO yes i said it

lick it.
haha yeah whatever...you have you change you're oil half as much and it cost 4 times as much.....do i have to spell it out for you???? oh you're saving money buddy enjoy those big hp gains
Old 03-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

While you guys all argue aboout this, think about how much it costs to do an oil change yourself. $30 for a full synthetic change yourself. All you guys that think about this probably use premium gas in your stock car. How much more a year do you spend on premium gas compared to regular gas. And you wanna ***** about an extra $15 dollars 4 times a year to do a synthetic oil change. That an extra $5 a month you would have to save to use synthetic oil. Damn, thats a lot. You spend that on McDonalds in one lunch.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:28 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic here.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:34 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonicpilz

What all is involved to switch your car to synthetic oil? Do you need to use a type of engine flush or something before you can fill up with synthetic? Also does synthetic oil make THAT much of a difference?

you take the bolt out of your oil pan let it drain, then take off your oil filter. Put a rim of oil around your oil filter, put it on, put the bolt back in your oil pan, and put new synthetic oil in....synthetic is much better in my mind...Castrol Syntex is actually my preference....

Sory bout the smart *** reply.....lol
Old 03-10-2006, 04:44 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

turbo stang is intelligent, he thinks it cost 4x as much. last time i checked a quart of regular oil is around 1.59-2.00, and synthetic is 3.59-4.00, thats for me at least, so yeah, 4x as much my ****.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:48 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

synthetic oil is not only a better lube for your motor, it also saves you one half of a weekend day every 6000 miles or so if you change it yourself. that right there is easily worth the extra whopping $15 or so per oil change.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Try this site for some insight: http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html Fact of the matter is, synthetic oil will keep your engine running like new almost indefinitely. No carbon in synthetic oil so no sludge or varnish build-ups of any kind. Better film strength, higher rpm's, higher HP (increase depends on what you are starting with), does not break down over time (ie storage), longer drain intervals, protects against high heat better, flows much better at sub zero temperatures, etc., etc. I've used it in one form or another in all my cars over the years and can not complain at all. About to go 100% synthetic with Royal Purple in crankcase, rearend and tranny. Here is on such test: http://www.royalpurple.com/hotrod1/hr1p1.html

Mobil 1 has always worked well in many of my cars. I decided to go recently with a premium synthetic (different base stocks), Royal Purple. Amsoil and Redline are two other such premium synthetics. Many others on the market, take your pick, they're all superior to conventional oils.

Other good reading:

http://www.royalpurple.com/arta/arta.html
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlf.aspx
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...=1&subcatID=14
Old 03-10-2006, 05:00 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

i just switched mine this past weekend and there is a very slight but noticalbe difference in the way the car starts, (mine doesnt take a couple of trys anymore) idles, and accelerates. all round it just runs better.

oh and it was $35 for the pureolater filter and 6 qrts of mobile 1 Extended Performance 5W30. the oil is supposed to last up to 15000 miles. so thats 4 oils changes you wouldnt normally have to do.

so say $15 for a regular oil change (the going rate at local oil change places around here) for 5 changes = $75
my oil change = $35
saved $40

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil