4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mod My GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:23 AM
orgul

Default Mod My GT

I have a 1998 GT (v8 4.6L, of course) with 90k miles, automatic transmission -- I know :'( (Possible to convert to a manual tranny?).

First off; worth moding? I think so, since I just purchased it about two months ago.

The car is currently all stock to the best of my knowledge. If small parts of it isn't, I don't care, I'm still going to replace it with something new/better. I'd like some opinions of what I should do with this beast.

At this moment, my plastic intake manifold is cracked, so I might as well start there. Should I go ahead with a PI swap while I'm already going to spend money on the manifold anyway? Any specific manifold/manifold kit?

Also, I'm thinking of going 100% synthetic, anyone against that? I see a lot of positive outcomes of going synthetic after researching a bit.

Any additives I should use to help its performance?

When should I port and polish? Now? Later? After a few mods, before mods?

I'd like some opinions from you great modders on what I should do with this 'Stang. Any and all opinions are welcome. From cams to pulleys to air intake kits to even spark plugs (lol) -- everything and all, spare nothing.

I'll upload pictures soon, the "before and after show." I have a great job, but I also have a great amount of bills, so "slowly but surely."

MustangForums.com, mod my GT
Old 03-12-2006, 03:45 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mod My GT

PI SWAP!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 04:45 AM
starcam
1st Gear Member

pi swap and exhaust,LT's,magnaflow's , x or h pipe
get the metal cross-over for the intake
or get the heads ported instead of new heads
tuner,gears,udp's
then plenum,throttle body,cai
synthetic is fine, I prefer royal purple
alot more but that should keep you busy
Old 03-12-2006, 04:54 AM
starcam
1st Gear Member

Here's a kit or piece it together from e-bay
http://www.parkwayperformance.com/2vheadswap.asp
If u have lot's of money, forged internals and nitros or super charger
Then again dropping a cobra engine in there and mod from there.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:01 AM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, you want that PI swap man. Shoot, you might even want to check to see if you can get ported heads if you're going to have them pulled off. But you should consider what your budget is, and go from there. The 4.6 motor can be very expensive to work on, so if you are having head and/or internal work done, if you can, go ahead and do what you're going to do while the motor is already pulled apart. After that, I'd consider the exhaust options (maybe even the headers while the cylinder heads are out because it will be easier for whoever is doing it to get to the header bolts).
Old 03-12-2006, 04:37 PM
orgul

I figured since I'd be going with a PI swap, while the engine is taken apart or possibly taken out, I might as well get everything done at once. Any opinions on cams? I also noticed my upper idler pulley is slightly damaged, any opinions on pulleys?

Basically, I'll be putting in major money into this car, so I'd like to get the best brands/models available according to peoples opinions (trial and errors, personal experience, etcetera).

Thanks for the opinions so far; I will indeed go with a PI swap since I have to have a new manifold anyways.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:51 PM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

my understanding with cams is that if you don't have forged internals, stick with stage 1 cams
Old 03-12-2006, 08:54 PM
starcam
1st Gear Member

Since you'll be doing a pi swap, and you have high mileage, you may want to replace the timing chain.
Either go with the pi cams or stage 1.
Pulleys either steeda or asp no piggybacks.