4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

thinking 'bout a 'stang

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Ryan34

Default thinking 'bout a 'stang

Hey everyone!! The car i have now (1993 cadillac Allante 4.6 DOHC northstar) is GREAT!! Its just that my apartment's rent is sky rocketting at the end of my lease and i have to move back in with my parents. The price of the car is too steep to keep. Well any way, i was thinking of trading it in on a 1998 Mustang GT. Instead of owing $12,000 and some change, i would only owe $6000 (maybe less). Plus the insurance won't be as high. Well the car has an intake(BBK) and cat-back exhaust(don't konw which brand). Just wanted to know if there were some problem areas of these cars. It has 110,000 miles. Thanks in advanced, Ryan.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Ryan34

Default RE: thinking 'bout a 'stang

I've tried searching, but not too much luck. I have read that the plastic intake likes to crack. Is this the manifold everyone is talking about? If so, is there a good aftermarket replacement for it? If there are any more problems, let me know. Thanks, Ryan.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:48 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

well it will be a downgrade in car as far as power

your caddy is MUCH quicker then the 98 stang

as for the manifold, there was a recall, so ford should be able to cover that for you,
but i dont know many of the details as it doesnt pertain to my car

i would recomend a PI swap and cams
this will wake that car up a ton, but can be a lil costly
Old 03-14-2006, 04:27 PM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

there isnt really any problem areas except the tranny possibly. And I said possibly, otherwise you should be fine.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:18 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

Ryan,

The SN-95 4.6 is a good bet.

Like others have said. The intake is a problematic area. The intakes with the aluminum crossover (the portion where the alternator mounts) are the best you can get without spending $1000+

Even that intake is not perfect. I had one crack back where the heater core plugs in.

With those kind of miles, I’d also anticipate bushing/ball-joint issues in the front end.

6K is realistically about what that car is worth in good condition, so it’s not a bad deal.

Plus you’d also be getting a newer car… And I’m sure parts are less on a Mustang than a Cadi.

Be warned though( If you are doing this to save money). A Mustang is like a Harley. It’s a starter kit… Nobody has a stock Mustang and it’s addictive.

You are right on insurance though. My previous ride was an 86 Lincoln Towncar. I bought the mustang without even considering the increase in insurance. I called up Allstate expecting to hear some really bad news… but to my surprise, way less….

Old 03-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Ryan34

Finally test drove it today, it acutally didn't feel too much different then the Caddy when it comes to power. Handles much better though as is expected with a sports car RWD compared to the luxery sport coupe FWD. Don't know for sure, I'll take it to the track once i get all the paper work done and a free friday. The only downside i noticed was that during braking the nose dives quite a bit(must be those front end bushings you mentioned) or maybe the shock absorbers. Either way it shouldn't be too expensive. Thats the other thing about Caddy's, the maintenance is an arm and leg deal. Takes 8 quarts of oil!!!! Parts are crazy expensive too, like a new tail light cover is $800. No typo, lol. Well i guess thats what happens with a car that's $60,000 brand new. Well thanks for the info so far. Keep all suggestions coming and any info you think I could use. Ryan.

Oh yeah, I've seen this SN95 thrown around a lot. Whats it stand for. I've figured out it means early 4th gen mustangs, right?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:30 AM
BlkWidow
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ryan34
Oh yeah, I've seen this SN95 thrown around a lot. Whats it stand for. I've figured out it means early 4th gen mustangs, right?
It stands for the '94-98 bodystyle. I have a '98GT & haven't had one second's worth of trouble out of her...she's in excellent condition.

I had to say that, didn't I? The car will probably spontaneously combust in the next couple days...should've kept my mouth shut.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Ryan34

ORIGINAL: BlkWidow

ORIGINAL: Ryan34
It stands for the '94-98 bodystyle. I have a '98GT & haven't had one second's worth of trouble out of her...she's in excellent condition.

I had to say that, didn't I? The car will probably spontaneously combust in the next couple days...should've kept my mouth shut.
LOL, knocking on wood for ya.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:46 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Im gonna have to say leave the NPI(96-98) GT's alone. If i didnt have enough money to buy a 99+, Id go 5.0 no doubt. Is there any reason that you are leaning towards 98?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

When looking at the car. You do have to worry about the intake manifold. THere are aftermarket manifolds that you can put on there and parts to make it run like a champ. The SN95 is to designate the Mustang GTs fromj 94-98. Also, the 98 GT has a T45 tranny which is not the greatest. I have had mine for almost two years and it has not broken down w/o good cause, me. I replaced a clutch in mine and my engine but w/ good cause. 110,000mi is not too bad if it was well maitained. IF is the keyword so try to find some documentation about that.
Good luck

Quick Reply: thinking 'bout a 'stang