4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

04 gt going in for first time

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:12 PM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default 04 gt going in for first time

Well I finally broke down and have to take my baby to the dealer. Been noticing a burning smell when car is driven lately. It's an 04 with less than 9k miles on it. Oil changed religiously. It's not oil/tranny fluid that's for sure. This is electrical. Also have alot of other issues with build quality and hopefully they will take care of these as well. Excessive wind noise at 130mph (nah just screwin with ya more like 65ish) lol.. Back weatherstriping, the plastic piece under wipers is all warped, rattling when radio is up(annoying). Anybody else experience this kind of bs as I dread the dealerships and what were your experiences? I also have a little clunk when I downship from 3rd to 2nd sometimes (auto) and that doesn't seem normal (cv joint?) and a rattling behind glove box at approx 2k rpms. Sounds like 2 aluminum pieces rattling together.

Oh well. End rant. Hello Ford dealership [:@]
Old 03-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 04 gt going in for first time

Sounds like its under warranty. I found that being very forward and not taking any BS will get you want you want. Most dealships are ok..
Old 03-13-2006, 09:18 PM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

Car's under full warranty through november 97. Although no loaner car unless I bought extended warranty... HELLO, the car is already under warranty now, I might consider spending the 1k for extended warranty at that point, but now is pointless.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

whats up with this burning smell? i'm getting the same thing
Old 03-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

Did you guys look for a recall?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:49 PM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

yes
Old 03-13-2006, 10:16 PM
03redGT
3rd Gear Member

burning smell here too [sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old 03-13-2006, 10:21 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

I had a slight burning smell when I changed my oil a couple times. Then car has been fine after about a week each time. Weird. [&:] Never had any electrical burning smell though.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:23 PM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

It's definately not any kind of oil or tranny fluid though that's the strange thing about it.

Any of you guys had any strange stereo glitches?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:49 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Passenger side door rattles like no other when I have the music up... I can't really hear it over the music but my passengers complain about it
Passenger seat squeaks on bumps (my road is like a freaking washboard, so the seat squeaks like mad.. only when no one is sitting in it)
Rattle forming behind the center panel where the stereo is
Rattle can be heard outside when sound system is turned up, sound coming from under the wiper assembly area... probably the same as the one I can hear inside
Loud (audible 8-10 car lengths back in a separate vehicle with the windows down) clunk whenever I shift between gears
Weather stripping on driver's side door right behind the top door speaker leaks slightly
If I press the button for my rear defroster, my A/C clutch fuse blows, however:
If I leave the fuse for the rear defroster in (in the engine bay), it is ALWAYS on, whether the car is on or not
Edit: Also, wiper fluid tank leaks down to under 1/2 full

Burning plastic smell when the car is running, and up to temperature (found out that this was just a little piece of a plastic bag that got snagged on my H-pipe... took it off but it still smells)

Destroyed a serpentine belt at less than 12000 miles

My poor GT is falling apart [:@] I blame the michigan roads for shaking everything apart... could possibly be a broken transmission mount (when I bought my stang with 7500 miles on it, all four tires were almost totally bald, they were the factory tires... last owner beat my stang) I've only sprayed nitrous 5-6 times since I got it, and not even full 1/4 mile pass times... maybe 30 seconds of nitrous have gone through my motor. I treat my stang well but I can't seem to keep up with all the problems it is developing. Since I have had my stang, I have changed the oil every 3000 miles with full synthetic. I've done everything to keep it up as well as I possibly can.

I don't mean to hijack, but just showing you that minor problems seem to be all over... Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 99-04 GT's? Or know where I can find one?

Also, I've been to the dealership once... they were helpful... you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

Quick Reply: 04 gt going in for first time