4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

DashBoard Removal?? HELP!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 03:54 AM
Cajun
1st Gear Member

Default DashBoard Removal?? HELP!!!

I have a 1996 Mustang GT and I'm changing my heater core. For this task the dashboard has to be removed..The heater core housing doesn't have enough clearence to slide out clearing the post through the firewall. My question is do I need to remove anything from the upper and lower cowl?? I have taken the three screws out on the top of the dash, removed all of my center piece (radio, little console area, vents) I have removed all the screws behind that. I have removed the passenger air bag and the screws in that area according to the Haynes manuel. I have even removed the screws that are on each side that go through the metal into the dash with swivels. I have removed the 6 screws to the right and the left in front of the shifter..

What bolts am i missing?? Its still secured in here somehow..Are there bolts under the top cowl?? I just saw 3 or 4 motors.. Also the lower cowl there are 7 screws there, i guess those are for that plastic piece thats vertical that the top cowl sits on its in front of the wipers?Does the steering wheel need to be taken down..Does the steering column need to be seperated from the shaft?

If anybody has some good pics of a pulled dash could you link them here so I can see where there bolt holes are...

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

~Cajun~
Old 03-14-2006, 04:55 AM
Cajun
1st Gear Member

Default RE: DashBoard Removal?? HELP!!!

HELP ME!!!

"BUMP"
Old 03-14-2006, 09:11 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

I've done an earlier fox body (fairmont), and yes, the steering column must be unbolted and rested upon the front seat. Someone here in the forums has done a late model Mustang. The old fox body without AC is simple, it slides out the glove box opening like a book. Hang in there, you'll get it.

John
Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Cajun
1st Gear Member

Yeah my uncle has 5 fox bodies a 87 T-Top his 89 and a 85 or something like that and some 90 model fox bodies. He was telling me at first to pull glovebox and take ducking out and thats how you get to heater core..Well not on mine the whole damn dashboard has to come out..

Though I really appreciate you posting mach.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Cajun
1st Gear Member

Ok no external bolts.. All the bolts for the dash are in the car..

I have removed the defrost 3 bolts
I have removed all 4 botls on each side for the kick panel
I have detached the steering wheel
I have the cluster out
The screws behind the instrument cluster out
I have the screws out on either side of the shifter not to mention the console out 6 of them to either side
I have my radio and ac control all that out and the bolts out of it
I have my pass. air bag out and the bolts in that area

Are there clips somewhere??
Old 03-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Cajun
1st Gear Member

It barely shakes back and fourth like something is still in there.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:18 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

Hey, I took mine pretty much out the other day, I pulled the heater core and all the vents and fire proofing, if i could remember my car domain password i would show ya. Its not that difficult, pull the center counsel, then theres like 3 bolts on each side, the wen u pop the defrost vent, there are some in there, the u can pretty much pull the dash back, disconnect some connections to get it more out of the way and u shuld be able to pull out the heater core.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Cajun
1st Gear Member

Well theres more then that..Screws behind everything.. the dash needs to come out about 3 to 4 inches then I could slide the post that goes through the firewall and have the heater core housing on the floor.

The prob is I did everything u just said plus more and its still locked in..My buddy said you have to get your knees under it and lift hard. That it is kind of heavy. I don't want to break anything.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
I ♥ Acer

There are two nuts on each side of the dash that bolt it onto the hinge pilar (A-Pilar). These nuts need to be removed. Also, you have a small bolt on either side of the dash/center console that will need to be removed. Did you take out the center console? There are a couple of bolts that hold the 2 pieces together. The steering column will need to unbolt from the dash. Past that, disconnect the computer (should be three plugs on the pass. side). Then you should gain access to the backside of the dash to disconnect the vacuum hoses and wires. Did you remove the A/C panel? This makes the job easier and less likely to rip hoses and wires.
...Oh you know what? Last time I did a dash there was a bolt or nut somewhere around the fuseblock taht was kinda hard to get to that gave me some issues. Put your head in the driver side floorboard and look up, you will see it. This one bolt is probably causing the problem.
All that for a $30 core. What a pain. Take my advise though. While you have the dash out, if you are familiar with A/C systems and you have another $30 or so to get an A/C evaporator, and swap that out too. Sure beats getting it all together and then the evap. goes out down the line. Also, take the new heater core to Firestone and have the core pressure checked. I have seen one that was bad from the store. $10 for a little piece of mind. Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Cajun
1st Gear Member

Thank You bud I see that bolt you were talking about by the fuse box.. I got everything else out..Yeah lol what a pain for a 30$$ part..

Appreciate it Tin!

~Cajun~