4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Flowmaster Drone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:24 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Flowmaster Drone!!!

BINGO.... that's the problem I have. Hopefully an O/R H will liven them up a bit... if not the next mod will be upgraded cat back

Old 03-15-2006, 08:06 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Monkey dude... there's a link in my sign for my flowmaster mufflers w/ O/R H-pipe.. I got a few good revs on that - trust me you won't have any problems about it being to quiet
Old 03-15-2006, 09:35 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

WE go through this muffler S**T all the time. Each type of system has their advantages/disadvantages. Either muffler type will be easy to live with if you have the stock converter pipe on. Once you change to hi-flow cats X or H, or O/R X or H., the increased flow changes noise dramatically. The power increase is well worth it, however. Straight throughs sound deep low, then tend to get raspy at high R's, and in many cases they get popping back-fire on decel. Many folks here like that. Chambered muffler are deep down low, but at cruising speeds, or loads (hills) in high gears get a thudding noise, or drone, in the 2000-2500 rpm range. Up high, I think chambered sound glorious, but sound is a matter of taste. Our Bullitt came from the factory, with a chambered drone and deep tone that is almost identical to flows. My buddy (he's 53, and a big time hot rodder) drove our Bullitt from CT to VA when we moved (530 miles). He loved the tone/drone of the car, I agree, so do I. We grew up in the 60's and 70's when chambered cans ruled on our rides, to hear it again out of a modern car, to us, is heaven. You can bet my '70 Mach I will have LT's and chambered mufflers. We also ran straights on a lot of our cars too, but they were larger displacement engines, Straights sounded like A** on a 289 Mustang, but were heavenly on a 390 car. The bigger engine yields a deeper tone, no matter what you run for exhaust. So, that outlines it, pick what you like and run it.

John
Old 03-15-2006, 10:04 AM
hack_239
1st Gear Member

I have had both the slowmaster series 40 mufflers [sm=shootshoot.gif]and magnaflow magnapacks [sm=smiley20.gif]. I have to say I hated the 40's but I absolutely love the Magnapack cat-back system. The Magnapacks are straight through so there is more exhaust volume (as in loud) but it's mainly behind the car. When at low rpms the magnapacks are very quiet (at least inside the car), but they sound like they are going to plant a boot in someone's backside at WOT (both in and out of the car). To sum it up, IMHO you can't go wrong with a Magnapack cat-back system. [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

The dreaded "drone" comes from the style of muffler. The chambered mufflers produce the drone while most other styles do not (reads: get straight through).

As long as it is not a chambered muffler, you should not experience the drone everyone refers to...

However, some people like the sound of a chambered muffler and don't mind the drone it makes at 2200-2600 RPM (mine do anyway but I'm not even sure what brand the weld-ons are). I relate it to the buffeting effect you sometimes get when the windows are rolled down just right in a car at high speeds - it gives me a naseous-headache feeling after listening to it for most of my commute. Besides, I like to use my cell phone from time-to-time. So, in my car, the chambered mufflers are out and good luck to those who like them.
Thank you for typing that out so I did'nt have to. Listen to him^^^^ guys and gals he is right on abouth this.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:55 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

i have flows 40 series too......and i think they sound great......and i don't know what this drone everyone talks about it......i guess i must like it whatever it is.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:59 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nathansmith50

i have flows 40 series too......and i think they sound great......and i don't know what this drone everyone talks about it......i guess i must like it whatever it is.
Yeah I'm with you there buddy. I personally can't stand the sound of 99% of the strait through systems, they all rasp at high RPM. If I wanted ANY rasp I would have kept my Honda...(jk). But I just LOVE the deep, rumble sound of my Flowmasters!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:33 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

You people need to check out pypes violator catbacks. They have mufflers that have a straight thru design however, the muffler can be reversed for a louder, chambered type of sound. Nobody seems to have this system but myself and another member on the forum. Once I figure out how to make a video clip, I will post it.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:46 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

Yeah I'm with you there buddy. I personally can't stand the sound of 99% of the strait through systems, they all rasp at high RPM. If I wanted ANY rasp I would have kept my Honda...(jk). But I just LOVE the deep, rumble sound of my Flowmasters!

Not with an H pipe haha... ever heard mine its all bass.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:47 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

i hear louder exhausts all the time.....but they all are a higher pitch noise....and raspy......i don't like them much.....the only one i've heard that i like better is borla.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Drone!!!