4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Flowmaster Drone!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Mod Power
1st Gear Member

Default Flowmaster Drone!!!

Ok, I recentily put on a BBK o/r X-pipe. I have factory manifolds with Flowmaster 40 series welded in. The exhaust drone between 2000 to 2700 r.p.m.'s is unbearable. At first I thought I'd get use to it (I only drive it on the weekends) but after a four hour trip to Orlando to Fun Ford Weekend I decided it was to much. Do you guys think I'd be better off with Magnaflow or Magnaflow "Magnapack" cat back systems. I'm not bothered by the noise of the Flowmaster 40 series, just that constant drone at crusing r.p.m.'s. Also MustangTuning.com has both Magnaflow exhaust systems for $469.95 shipped. One more thing I'd like to keep the price around that, so I guess no Bassani. So please give me your opinions and experience.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:38 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Flowmaster Drone!!!

You'll probably get the good ol' drone no matter which of the two you buy. I had dynomax superturbos on the stock system before buying a new catback and they did not drone much at all. I didn't like them that much due to them being a bit too quiet. I don't have that problem anymore.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:42 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Lol, i like the drone. Guess its because I'm young. I don't think I'll ever put anything other then flowmasters on my Mustang.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

the regular magnaflow catback does not drone at all..but it only gets loud when you romp it..the magnapacks will be very loud, but again, no drone, just a little humm because they are straight through
Old 03-14-2006, 06:19 PM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

if u get a h-pipe the drone will go away somewhat
Old 03-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

welcome to the flowmaster world grasshopper as soon as i get some extra cash the flows are gone
Old 03-14-2006, 06:22 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

my MACs drownnnnnnnnnnn alot, they used to get annoying, but after listening to my car for the first time outside just driving by drowning out, and under WOT, i love them. i love the drown now.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mod Power

Ok, I recentily put on a BBK o/r X-pipe. I have factory manifolds with Flowmaster 40 series welded in. The exhaust drone between 2000 to 2700 r.p.m.'s is unbearable. At first I thought I'd get use to it (I only drive it on the weekends) but after a four hour trip to Orlando to Fun Ford Weekend I decided it was to much. Do you guys think I'd be better off with Magnaflow or Magnaflow "Magnapack" cat back systems. I'm not bothered by the noise of the Flowmaster 40 series, just that constant drone at crusing r.p.m.'s. Also MustangTuning.com has both Magnaflow exhaust systems for $469.95 shipped. One more thing I'd like to keep the price around that, so I guess no Bassani. So please give me your opinions and experience.
Well, if you were at FFW in Orlando, you probably saw my car run. If you remembered/liked how mine sounded get the Magnaflows (I have O/R X and Magnaflows). If you want louder get the magnapacks
Old 03-14-2006, 06:51 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

My MAGNAflows drone and I only have mufflers on their right now. I couldn't imagine with an offroad X.

Im 18, its definitely not an age factor, the flowmasters especially drone the **** out of the car and they sound horrific. I want to cry everytime I hear them, and my magnaflows are really starting to get to me.

I don't mind the noise at ALL, hense (look at my sig) LOL! But the drone is just so piercing in my ear, and like I said I only have mufflers. Just a bad sound.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:04 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

I have the SLP loudmouth 2's with stock mid-pipe....I think they sound nice, not all that loud inside the car but sound nice outside of it...espescially when u get on it. They have them at mustangtuning.com for $427 i'm pretty sure thats where i got mine from this winter...In my opinion they sound better than the magnaflow's but that's just me. (the drown isn't bad)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flowmaster Drone!!!