4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bilsteen/steeda suspension...Ride quality sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 PM
LazrRd00GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Bilsteen/steeda suspension...Ride quality sucks!

How can i improve the ride quality of my 2000 mustang GT 'vert? so far i have bilsteen struts and shocks, and Steeda sport springs. The ride quality right now is horrible. I like the lowered look so are there any springs that keep it lowered but improve ride... like the bullit springs, ford racing, etc...

Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bilsteen/steeda suspension...Ride quality sucks!

Where did you buy the parts at?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:10 PM
LazrRd00GT
2nd Gear Member

i got them all from stangsuspension.com
Old 03-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Did you call him back and let him know what you're experiencing. Josh should be able to give you a good answer. He knows his suspension.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:15 PM
LazrRd00GT
2nd Gear Member

ill try that. But i didnt think to call because people told me when you lower a car the ride quality decreases. Is that right or is the ride suposed to be decent with the lowering springs?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Well I have Tokico Springs and Illumina shocks. The Illuminas are adjustable so in my case I leave both the front and back on setting 3 and it rides very nice but when I use 4 it rides a little too rough for the street for me. I don't know how cold it is where you live but I know my car rides a little rough when it's cold but absolutely sweet when it's warm.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

I was looking at the illumina shocks also! most of the after market parts are going to make you feel every little thing in the road. if you want that lower look you have to be willing to deal with it.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

My car rides abslutely perfect on the street. Very smooth. The Tokico springs/shocks kit I got off ebay lowered my car 1 3/8 front and 1 1/4 rear. Not a crazy slammed look but I'm very happy with the setup. I got them from jdmwerks13 on ebay but I didn't see any 99-04 kits on there today. He does have a 94-98 kit though.
http://search.ebay.com/tokico-illumi...minaQ20mustang
Old 03-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I have Tokico struts and shocks with Steeda sport springs and the ride is firm but smooth on good highways. Smooth as a babies a$$ as a matter of fact. Truth is, any lowering spring install will make your car rougher on bad roads. Handling does have its price. For me, I'd rather enjoy the handling improvements and take it easy traveling down crappy roads. Did you have new urethane spring isolators installed along with the springs?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/isolators.asp

The Bilsteen shocks may be valved much more harsher than the Tokicos as well. You definitely do not want to install a full blow "race shock" on your car because that would most centainly make your car ride like crap for everyday use. They are meant for "racing" conditions only.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:20 PM
HMS
1st Gear Member

Are you sure the springs are the "Sport" set. You shouldn't have that bad of a ride, unless you have some pretty crappy roads. The Bilsteins help Big time for the ride quality. Our fox body has Bilsteins with H&R supersports and has a pretty desent ride. It is firm but Not jaring. The H&R s.s.springs have a front spring rate of 625 to 705lbs. The Steeda springs don't drop the stang that much, so you shouldn't be having a bottoming out problem.

Quick Reply: Bilsteen/steeda suspension...Ride quality sucks!