4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What is double clutching....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 02:46 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

Default What is double clutching....

what is the correct way to shift when racing. I have heard of terms called double clutching and power shifting but what do they mean and what do you guys reccomend?
Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 03:08 PM
hotrodman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What is double clutching....

power shifting ,,is shifting under full throttle all the time ,,meaning once you let out the clutch in 1st gear,,dont let off the gas bewteen shifts ,,hold your gas to the floor ,,in just pop the clutch threw the gears fast ,,
Old 02-24-2004, 03:12 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

hotrodman...
how much does this help and how bad is it for your trans, and excuse my ignorance but wont you grind if you are pressing the gas before you put the car in gear?? thanks in advance.
how do you shift???
Old 02-24-2004, 03:27 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

A. Double clutching is a pointless/useless thing to try. it slows you down.

B. Double clutching is a 'ricer' term.

C. All of the above are correct[&:]

Power shifting has to be timed perfect too, or you will destroy your tranny. Just try gettin of the throttle a bit, & swithing a gear until you get swift w/the shift[8D]
Old 02-24-2004, 04:35 PM
thePreacher

double clutching is when you depress clutch, shift from first to neutrel, let go of clutch, depress clutch again, and shift to 2nd and let go of clutch. Again a ricer term and a waste of time
Old 02-24-2004, 04:49 PM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

What would the benefit of double clutching be??? It seems to me like you are just stopping mid shift and doing a pointless step? Is there suppose to be a reason for it?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:42 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Back in the day of british sport cars and the like the gea boxes did not contain syncros. Syncros match the tranny speed to the motor speed to give a nice smooth shift. Without them you would get one nastry grind every shift. To stop the grinding on cars with no syncros you need to depress the clutch put it in neutral release th clutch blip throttle depress the clutch shift into the next gear release th clutch. That takes time. It is not nessecary in today's car. Don't even bother trying to do it.

What you should practice is heel-toe. This will help smooth out downshifts when coming to a stop and/or racing. Heel-toeing is when you downshift and under braking you brake with you toes and blip the throttle with you heel just enough to match the revs when you release the clutch. I have difficuly doing that way so what I do is brake with the inside of my foot and roll the outerside of my foot into the throttle to blip it. It will take some practice to do it right everytime. But it eliminates the jerkiness of downshifts and is far more usefull than duble clutching.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:55 PM
hotrodman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: yellowstang98

hotrodman...
how much does this help and how bad is it for your trans, and excuse my ignorance but wont you grind if you are pressing the gas before you put the car in gear?? thanks in advance.
how do you shift???
you better be a good quick shifter and dont miss a gear with out a rev, limter,,,gas keep it to the floor ,,poping the clutch quick so motor wont over rev ,,,takes practice...a was push 400 plus to the rear wheels when a tried it ,,it was sweet as hell,, tell my pressure plate blow up it \was defecfed center force replaced it free of chagre,,,,had not had problem since,,,,start by shifting it a lower rpm first,,,,say 5000rpms....double clutching was far trans,, with no snyros..not nessary
Old 02-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Craziness4fun
2nd Gear Member

Not saying 'Playboy' is an authority but in the March issue of this year they say this about double clutching for a corner:
Page 45
left foot on clutch
Right foot on brake – so can reach gas pedal
Shift to neutral
Release clutch
While pushing brake pedal roll foot to blip gas so rpm is increased
Match speed of rear wheels to lower gear
Engage clutch
Downshift
Let out clutch
Now we can smoothly apply power while we clip the corner of the apex.