4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Quick Question regarding SCT

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:03 PM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

Default Quick Question regarding SCT

Hey guys, just a question. My speedometer is off due to me having either 3.73's or 4.10's in the rear... I plan on getting it dyno tuned in the future and getting everything worked out but I'm deciding if i wanna put a little motor work in before getting tuned.

My main question is... If i purchase a SCT handheld tuner, without a tune... Can I correct the speedometer with the tuner itself... I know this sounds like a weird question, I just don't want to keep putting unnecessary miles on my car.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:44 PM
CJCuster89
1st Gear Member

As far as I know, the tuner probably wont adjust the speedometer to the new gear ratio. The tuning maps are generally for the computer itself to increase torque horsepower and sometimes gas mileage. I could be wrong though.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JeffBall
Hey guys, just a question. My speedometer is off due to me having either 3.73's or 4.10's in the rear... I plan on getting it dyno tuned in the future and getting everything worked out but I'm deciding if i wanna put a little motor work in before getting tuned.

My main question is... If i purchase a SCT handheld tuner, without a tune... Can I correct the speedometer with the tuner itself... I know this sounds like a weird question, I just don't want to keep putting unnecessary miles on my car.
Hey,

Great question!

These tuners do have a setting where you can manually adjust the rear gear ratio. Once that is adjusted it will in fact correct the speedometer.

Also, to be honest, in order to dyno tune, you usually need a tuner regardless. The tuner will allow the dyno technician to make changes to the cars computer based off what they are reading on the dyno.

Furthermore, if you buy a tuner from us, we can actual write all the tunes you need up until you dyno the vehicle. Whenever you buy a tuner from us, it comes with free tunes for life. So you could do some engine work, we can tune it for you in the meantime and when you want to put it on the dyno, just take the tuner to the speed shop and they will be able to handle it from their.

100% your call though, but getting any handheld tuner will certain take care of your speedometer problem. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch with myself or our Bama tuning department. Good luck!

-Dan
Old 03-07-2014, 01:05 PM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

Appreciate the response Dan, however I have a Roush stage 3, and the guys over at AM i spoke with told me they can't tune it. Suggested I get it dyno tuned. Also, when i said motor work, i mean major repairs...as far as forged internals as well as trick flow heads. to allow more boost from the S/C