4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Another S/C question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 07:28 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Another S/C question...

It would take less than a few hours for it to get too hot. You could run on the street for normal driving fine with a 9 psi pulley and intercooler but you could probably only get one pass every couple hours without it getting too hot. I would agree with going with 6psi till you get the intercooler.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:47 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Vortech>KB
Old 03-20-2006, 10:47 PM
trbuddy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ibeeskeef

I was under the impression that if I was going to run around 9lbs of boost (the safe limit on a stock GT engine from what I understand but correct me if I am wrong) then I would need an intercooler to be able to run it more than once in a couple hours time because the heat would build up pretty fast. I was going to leave the boost around 6 lbs or so until I got the intercooler because I heard that was a safe number to run for a night at the strip. Are you saying that I could run 9 lbs safely without the intercooler more than once?
I do run 9psi in my Vortech with no problems. However if you would like to go with 10 psi or more you should think about forged internals and interooler. According to Vortech you can run up to 10psi on a stock GT so you can run for sure 8psi and no intercooler without risking anything.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ibeeskeef

I have been doing a lot of s/c research and I think I have it narrowed down. Everyone on here says go with the KB 1.7 if you can afford it. I, like most others on here, cannot afford it. My choice is going to be the Vortech kit from MPH. I know it is not intercooled, but I can get the kit, run it for a while, and then put an intercooler on there when I save the extra dough. 6 psi nonintercooled is better than 0 psi while waiting for the extra cash for an intercooler.

Anyway, running 9 psi on both kits (the KB 1.7 and the Vortech) with an intercooler on each, will there be a noticable difference between the two in the quarter mile? I plan to put 4.10's on the car since I am going with the Vortech and needed higher RPM's faster. Will 3.73's and a KB1.7 run much faster, if any, than a Vortech and 4.10's will all other factors being equal?
Yes, there will be a difference with both at 9 PSI. The vortech will rape the KB Espcially the 1.7L kit.

I need to get my street video made so bad. Alot of people on this site have some strange thoughts about blowers. To say a vortech is not fun on the street is totally insane. To say the car doesn't have reponse is also insane. From ANY RPM, in 1st, WOT is just a smoke show. Unless you like to run around starting races at 2k RPM I don't really see the point of spending all of the extra money on the KB, just to go slower.

With the vortech, my car still gets 20 MPG on the highway (what it did before the blower), and when you are out of boost drives like any normal car. My grandmother could hop in and take it for a spin, if only she knew how to drive a 5 spd, so long as she stayed out of full throttle.

You will not need to run an intercooler at 8 PSI with your MPH kit. Tim will tune the kit for you, and it will run fine without the intercooler. I am currently at 387 RWHP on a non intercooled vortech, running at or around 8PSI (not sure cause of hte cams). This is on a MUSTANG dyno. On a dynojet, which everyone seems to use to compare, this is around 415 to 425 RWHP, and the car is a total beast.

You will not want 4.10s with the vortech unless you plan on running slicks. This is yet another myth about the vortech cars. I would almost be better off with the 3.27s in 1st and 2nd gear.

It is not like it takes a decade to build boost and then just shoots off. A vortech is not a massivly oversized turbo. Even if we don't take into consideration the massive difference in the mustang dyno and my old dynojet run, I am making more horsepower at 2900 RPM than I did at ANY point in the RPM band before. At somewhere around 3100 RPM I have alread surpased my peak TQ number before the blower, on the way to 379.1 RWTQ. Once again, this is all on a mustang dyno, so its even more impressive when you consider my numbers at these RPM are probably somewhere between 15 and 20 off!

Most people also don't consider that the biggest part of the torque curve is right in the powerband. At 6000 RPM the car is still making over 355 RWTQ (like 375 RWTQ on a dynojet).

Trust me, you are NOT gonna be disapointed if you go with a centrifugal. The 03/04 cars have made SUCH a name for the KB, but even those cars are FASTER if you put a procharger on it!!

BTW, alot of people on this forum are KB nuts (not sure where they are in this post). And most, if not all, of the KB freaks on this forum also don't own a blower!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:11 PM
GTkyle
1st Gear Member

Not to hijack your thread, but what all is needed for running this setup? Just something for me to consider for later n down the road....
Old 03-20-2006, 11:16 PM
blown32v
1st Gear Member

U should look at the kenne bell website,to further what these guys were saying ......in the experiences page an owner of the 1.7 even says its not so great for 1/4 mile tmes......he also says"just try to find one KB in a shootout"on the KB site no less