4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MAGNAFLOW QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:46 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MAGNAFLOW QUESTION

I think the MFs and a catted x are great. No drone at cruise, doesn't draw the boys in blue, deep sound, and at WOT gets noticed. Plus, stainless steel lasts damn near forever. Also, the difference in performance was noticeable from the stock exhaust. Seat of the pants dyno says two big thumbs up.

My video is in my sig. Older digital camera, but you'll get the idea.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:29 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

ORIGINAL: Rauchle05

if your wanting your car loud, be sure not to buy magnaflows. like everyone else said if your wanting somthing a little loud go with magnapacks. magnaflows are never loud but sound pretty good at WOT.
WTF??! I have an Magnaflow O/R X and Magnaflow catback. My car won't burst your eardrums at a cruise, but it definitely gets loud. For me they are perfect. No loud annoying raspy popping at 20-30 mph when I'm cruising on on a residential street. But when I accelerate, you know I have an aftermarket exhaust. And ti absolutely screams at WOT. Best of both worlds if you ask me. A nice low and noticable rumble at idle. Much louder than stock at idle, but still very calm and not poppy i.e. chambered mufflers. Again mine screams like a banshey at WOT and I get complimented on it all the time. I'm sure my midpipe plays a part in my cars loudness, but magnaflows definitely are loud when you give it the gas
[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 08-05-2006, 01:31 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

I think the MFs and a catted x are great. No drone at cruise, doesn't draw the boys in blue, deep sound, and at WOT gets noticed. Plus, stainless steel lasts damn near forever. Also, the difference in performance was noticeable from the stock exhaust. Seat of the pants dyno says two big thumbs up.

If you gain 5 WHP from a catback (which you will never notice from SOTP) consider yourself lucky.

There simply isn't enough restriction in the stock catback to free up that much power. Even on heavily modified cars the difference is not that dramatic.

Its easy to think you picked up power though, simply because it sounds so much differen't, your ears are tricking you.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:33 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Rauchle05 bud I think you are mistaken about magniflows and the quality is hands down better than your flowmaster weld ins I had your setup and I wasnt happy until i put the magniflows on. Now old guys at the gas station say "I love how your car sounds"
ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

if your wanting your car loud, be sure not to buy magnaflows. like everyone else said if your wanting somthing a little loud go with magnapacks. magnaflows are never loud but sound pretty good at WOT.
I don't agree with that a bit. While it is not overly loud at idle/crusing, my exhaust simply screams at WOT. I know the LTs and o/r X help alot, but I was able to hear my car from well over a mile away (friend driving) even before the blower.

Video before blower:

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....4-05EE8B587477

Old 08-05-2006, 01:36 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

Rauchle05 bud I think you are mistaken about magniflows and the quality is hands down better than your flowmaster weld ins I had your setup and I wasnt happy until i put the magniflows on. Now old guys at the gas station say "I love how your car sounds"

I don't agree with that a bit. While it is not overly loud at idle/crusing, my exhaust simply screams at WOT. I know the LTs and o/r X help alot, but I was able to hear my car from well over a mile away (friend driving) even before the blower.

Video before blower:

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....4-05EE8B587477

+1, my car came from the dealer (used) with flows welded in. I installed the LTs/X, and was definatly not happy with the sound. The magnaflow catback improved things considerably, not to mention the lack of DRRRRRROOOOOONNNNNEEEEE at highway speeds
Old 08-05-2006, 08:40 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

If you gain 5 WHP from a catback (which you will never notice from SOTP) consider yourself lucky.

There simply isn't enough restriction in the stock catback to free up that much power. Even on heavily modified cars the difference is not that dramatic.

Its easy to think you picked up power though, simply because it sounds so much differen't, your ears are tricking you.
Maybe my ears are tricking me. I don't mind either way. However, I did the catted X and cat back at the same time. I'm 'told' that I might have seen a 10 hp improvement. I definitely feel a change in throttle response and that surprised me. Anyway, that was a month ago and now that I'm used to it, I'm looking at my next mod. Such is life with a 4.6 car.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:32 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

2000GT4.6, which magnaflows do you have? How's the interior sound at the higher RPMs and cruising RPMs?

MustangMan, i see you have the magnapacks, how is your interior resonance?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:45 PM
j_dub
1st Gear Member

My magnaflows are putting out a lot more noise since I installed my UPR o/r x. sounds amazing.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:55 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

i have the magnapaks, and they dont pop at all until u get to really high rpms, they have a real nice deep tone to them