4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Window scratches

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Window scratches

What's so odd about waxing your windows?

I wax mine. It makes them a lot easier to clean with water and rain won't etch the glass this way. Use your brain, it's common sense!!

Anyways, I highly highly doubt it's the seal, being a tint shop, they should sort of be familiar with the workings of your windows, there is usually 2 guides, covered with a funny looking cloth that guide your windows up, people who use their windows a lot will wear these guides down fast and leave nasty scratches about 4-5 inches from the end of the window.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i know the 05 guys have lots of problems with the glass getting scratched, the fix seems to be a piece of felt between the seal and the glass
Old 03-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

That's pretty lame.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:50 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roaddog

I do not know if it will work on Glass but...Shaving cream will get out or cover up most scratches in plastic .
also if you put shaving cream on your bathroom mirrors, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it off. the mirrors wont fog up as much.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

*off Topic* ^ what kind of springs are you running?

Edit: never mind, just realized its photo shopped
Old 03-23-2006, 12:09 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brute03

*off Topic* ^ what kind of springs are you running?

Edit: never mind, just realized its photo shopped
yes it is, im going with the 4X4 look
Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 PM
vetsac

Hey all,

Just joined MustangForums today, so this is my first post. I just bought my new 2006 Mustang V6 last night actually. I haven't even had my 'Stang for 24 hours yet

One of my questions to my dealer's Accessory guy was to get my Mustang tinted (I live in sunny AZ and I HAVE to have tinted windows ). He actually suggested I DON'T tint my windows because of the known problem that some Mustang's tinted windows will begin showing scratches over time. If I did go ahead and tint them, these scratches would NOT be covered under warranty.

He said the scratches are due to the little mechanism (I forget what he called it) in place inside the door that presses up against the window to keep it in place so it doesn't move around while in the door. Basically this is really a design "defect" in the door hardware because this things presses up against the window, and thus begins scratching into the tint film. This actually happened to my previous car (a Camaro). About 5 yrs into my ownership of the Camaro, my psgr side window started scratching into the tint (I started getting about a 2-inch wide scratch that went halfway up the window. Over the next year, it gradually grew worse.).

Anyway -- so my question is... Does anyone know of a workaround that will protect tinted windows on the Mustangs? A previous poster suggested putting a piece of felt against the window seal. I'm not sure if that would work or not, since (according to my dealer) the roller hardware that snugs up against the glass is actually INSIDE the door. I really want to get my windows tinted (it's a necessity here in AZ), but I need to find a known fix for this first before I go ahead and do it. I'm wondering if there's an after-market "felt cover" or something that can sit on top of this piece of hardware inside the door and protect the tint film as the window rolls up and down....?

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
-Dan

Old 03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

You could open the door and stick a little piece of felt between the arm that holds the window and the glass, that would work Otherwise, I don't know of any products to stop it from happening.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:50 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

I got that same problem happening to my windows too. Mainly the driver's inside because I use that one more. The mention of the mechanism resting against the door sounds logical. I think it is like that on most cars though. As far as the two rubber pieces on either side of the top of the door, if there was dirt in the felt like part, it would be freed by moving the window up and down during operation. I say, if the wax works, do it.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

My scratches are all on the outside of the glass and like Dan (not the new Dan) said I can hear it scratching from inside the door when I move my windows up and down. My windows stay down about 60-70% of the time i drive, so they get a lot fo use.

Quick Reply: Window scratches