4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why is my cupholder so ***damned useless?

Old 03-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

Default Why is my cupholder so ***damned useless?

Can somebody explain to me why my cupholder does not hold cups?

It's so shallow I can't put anything in there without it falling over. And even if I tried to put a cup where my change holder thing sits, I can't shift into 2nd gear! Two of my friends who also have Mustangs have no problems with their cupholders though - there's sit like 4-5" deep whereas mine is just a useless poser. Is there anything I can do about this? I'd like to be able to drive without constantly having to make sure my drink doesn't spill over.

Edit: It's a 1999. Anybody else feel my pain?

Old 03-23-2006, 07:39 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why is my cupholder so ***damned useless?

mine is different, i dont know man
Old 03-23-2006, 07:41 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Don't drink and drive! Haha well my friend has the same thing. He uses it as a ipod holder. The cup holder really doesnt do much, but maybe theres an adapter or something you can rig up to make it hold steady? No idea.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Hoov

Can somebody explain to me why my cupholder does not hold cups?

It's so shallow I can't put anything in there without it falling over. And even if I tried to put a cup where my change holder thing sits, I can't shift into 2nd gear! Two of my friends who also have Mustangs have no problems with their cupholders though - there's sit like 4-5" deep whereas mine is just a useless poser. Is there anything I can do about this? I'd like to be able to drive without constantly having to make sure my drink doesn't spill over.

Edit: It's a 1999. Anybody else feel my pain?

Well I have a 2000 same thing here. That 'open' drink holder though looks REALLY shallow, you sure there's not an insert in it? Take the change holder out and see if there is something inserted in the the other drink holder. It should be twice the depth at least
Old 03-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FastLane034
Don't drink and drive! Haha well my friend has the same thing. He uses it as a ipod holder. The cup holder really doesnt do much, but maybe theres an adapter or something you can rig up to make it hold steady? No idea.
I'll bet one of the few things that would stay put is one of those Heineken mini kegs!

ORIGINAL: Derf00
Well I have a 2000 same thing here. That 'open' drink holder though looks REALLY shallow, you sure there's not an insert in it? Take the change holder out and see if there is something inserted in the the other drink holder. It should be twice the depth at least
I'll look again when I'm on my lunch break, but I've messed with it before and what you see is what you get. That was the entire unit. The holder where the change cup sits is twice as deep, but like I said I can't use it. Anything I put in there interferes with shifting into 2nd gear. After grinding 2nd a couple times I swore to never put a cup in there again.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Hoov

ORIGINAL: FastLane034
I'll bet one of the few things that would stay put is one of those Heineken mini kegs!

ORIGINAL: Derf00
I'll look again when I'm on my lunch break, but I've messed with it before and what you see is what you get. That was the entire unit. The holder where the change cup sits is twice as deep, but like I said I can't use it. Anything I put in there interferes with shifting into 2nd gear. After grinding 2nd a couple times I swore to never put a cup in there again.

wow, twice as deep??? You have an insert in there they should be the same depth. I feel your pain. I hate goig through drive throughs when I'm ordering for more than just myself and it's just me in the car
Old 03-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

Just got back from lunch. Sad to say it's no insert.

Anyone know if it's possible to order one of these cupholder units from a newer stang that doesn't have this problem?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:54 AM
99TripleBlackGT

I have a 99 and i dont have that problem. Mine are pretty deep and nothing tips over, 2 nd gear is still tricky though
Old 03-24-2006, 12:58 AM
kendiesel
2nd Gear Member

Mine has the samething. Might spill my beer!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/32881/2D56575BBCC24BBBB1E750A96ECF8330.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-24-2006, 01:20 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Mine has the same open side but from the looks mine looks deeper than yours. I don't really have a problem holding cups because when ever I order a drink I get a larger size

Edit: Oh and I don't have a change cup in the front cup holder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is my cupholder so ***damned useless?