4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech or Saleen Supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:12 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech or Saleen Supercharger??

ORIGINAL: ZAMMiT

good info to know, thanks..im trying to take in all the knowledge i can about chargers as fast i can, cuz i dont know much. but is there any benefits to the top mount charger rather than the ones mounted in front of the engine? the top mount charger usually makes a whining new too, correct?
The "top mounted" blowers are twin screw and roots style. Don't call them top mounted though, because it's not correct. They make a whining sound (listen to the 03-04 cobras).

"Front mounted" blowers are commonly centrifugal, and turbos. Same goes with the above, though. These tend to make a whistle.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:23 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

The 03s don't come with a whipple. Whipple is a aftermarket blower (a twin screw). The 03 come with a eaton style blower

A eaton and a twin screw are just two different designs for a top mount blower. I beileve that all of the eatons compression takes place after the blower, while the twin screws make the boost interneally. Twin screws are more efficent and make more power.

The KB is more costly, and they will also run SLOWER in a 1/4 mile race. They develop alot of power down low though, so alot of people get extremely excited about them. Pretty much no matter what RPM you are at if you punch it they develop boost and power, while a centrifugal needs to spin higher RPM to make power.
This is just a little too off.

The 03/04 Cobras come with an Eaton blower. Eaton is simply a brand. It is a roots-style blower. A Kenne bell (or Whipple) blower is a twin-screw style blower. They are both very similar, the key difference is the design of the two rotors which make boost. In a twin screw, they come very close to touching (but don't). Kenne bell has some information on the differences between the two in their tech articles. http://www.kennebell.net

Twin screw, and roots style blowers produce compression in the intake manifold area, after the throttle body. Centrifugal blowers produce boost in the air intake, before the throttle body.

The twin screw blowers cost more, but are superior in the way that they make a considerable amount of boost with VERY low RPMs, compared to a centrifugal which has to spin very high... While making boost down low is good for overall power, it's bad for the track because you are more likely to spin off the line with the added power down low. It's a mixed blessing.
Centrifugals don't have to spin "very high" to make more power, just above about 3K to see real boost. I saw a massive difference even down around 2800 RPM.

I could swear I saw MM&FF talking about the eaton/roots blowers making boost not in the blower case but in the intake or some ****. Dunno why it would make a difference though..

Centrifugal for the win!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:27 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Centrifugals don't have to spin "very high" to make more power, just above about 3K to see real boost. I saw a massive difference even down around 2800 RPM.

I could swear I saw MM&FF talking about the eaton/roots blowers making boost not in the blower case but in the intake or some ****. Dunno why it would make a difference though..

Centrifugal for the win!
Well, you're making what, 3 lbs of boost that low? It's enough to feel, but at 2800 rpm with a twin screw/roots you're almost at full boost, if not there already. Where you get into boost is the biggest difference between a twin screw and centrifugal
Old 03-24-2006, 12:30 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Centrifugal for the win!
Well, you're making what, 3 lbs of boost that low? It's enough to feel, but at 2800 rpm with a twin screw/roots you're almost at full boost, if not there already. Where you get into boost is the biggest difference between a twin screw and centrifugal
Agreed, it isn't making muchboost down low, and that is the primary difference. However, it does make more power at 3k than it did before period

I make boost pretty quick after 3k. It of course does'nt peak until almost redline, but the boost is pretty fat alrady at around 3.5K.

The whole point of my other post with the videos in it is to dispel the thought that the centirfugals are doggy like a oversized turbo. It seems to have invaded alot of peoples thoughts on this forum somehow.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

hmm...thats a little weird...cause i was starting to think that the centrifugals work like a turbo and the reason i was thinking that was cause i was driving in 5th gear and at about 2400rpm and i smashed the gas pedal and by the time i went up to about 2700 rpm it was already at 5 lbs of boost... so i dunno.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:09 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

So...for 1/4 mile centris are better than twin screw huh? hmm...
Old 03-24-2006, 11:51 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: so1o2k3

So...for 1/4 mile centris are better than twin screw huh? hmm...
Yes, even a twin screw blower has a small amount of boost loss in your high RPMs. Whereas the centrifugal keeps pulling and pulling. So with a centrifugal other then your initial out of the hole first 3000RPMs you're in peak powerband all the way down the strip.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:53 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

just watch the video I posted here in the 4.6 section. Centrifugal> KB. Unless you like to race from a 2000 RPM roll all the time or something.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:54 PM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

this is my view on them

if you like to drive around town and have fun. just punching from stop sign to stop sign or stop light to stop light. go with the KB

if you really into racing, either at the strip or on the street, go with the centrifugal.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:50 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

sorry to be off topic but i keep hearing MM&&FF..what is that?

Quick Reply: Vortech or Saleen Supercharger??