4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Buying supercharger first, then car, a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 05:51 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

Default Buying supercharger first, then car, a few ?'s

i've been without a mustang for about 3 months............. i hate it but i've been putting a lot of thought into my next project. I love the sn95 bodies, not to say i don't like the new age but hey sn95s are cheaper, and i need to spare every dollar i can. Im gonna purchase a supercharger first because trying to save the money with a mustang is just too damn hard, especially with the insurance. Im going with a 96-98 cobra. What i need to know is, what do i need for a complete install of a SC, meaning extra parts. Im looking to push about 400+ hp, i want to keep the realiablity and driveability, this isn't going to be a drag strip monster.
i have 4.10s already. I figure some bigger injectors for sure, 24#s at least. what else will i need to pick up, also anyone have any suggestions on the SC brand.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:55 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying supercharger first, then car, a few ?'s

ORIGINAL: sickspeedgt

i've been without a mustang for about 3 months............. i hate it but i've been putting a lot of thought into my next project. I love the sn95 bodies, not to say i don't like the new age but hey sn95s are cheaper, and i need to spare every dollar i can. Im gonna purchase a supercharger first because trying to save the money with a mustang is just too damn hard, especially with the insurance. Im going with a 96-98 cobra. What i need to know is, what do i need for a complete install of a SC, meaning extra parts. Im looking to push about 400+ hp, i want to keep the realiablity and driveability, this isn't going to be a drag strip monster.
i have 4.10s already. I figure some bigger injectors for sure, 24#s at least. what else will i need to pick up, also anyone have any suggestions on the SC brand.
Your going to need to go bigger then 24lbs injectors. 96-98 cobras come stock with 24lbs injectors. Id say at least 39-42lbs injectors
Edit: Also you will have to upgrade your mass air to I'd say 90mm. New fuel pump, and a decent exhaust set up.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:08 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

anything else anyone can think of, maybe i'll just save a about 5k and knock a 03 cobra under 20k. that will save me all the work, because well............. im lazy
Old 03-27-2006, 06:16 PM
nystateofmind27
2nd Gear Member

You complain about insurance costs but you are considering an 03 cobra?

Sounds like you need to get your priorities streight before anything.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:25 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

my priorities are straight my friend. If i were trying to save for a supercharger and parts + labor for installation then yeah insurance would be a factor........... BUT if i got an 03 then............ hey look at that, no parts, no supercharger (independantly purchased) and no installation........... anything else?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:27 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I think it's borderline insane to buy a s/c before the car.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:28 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

I think it's borderline insane to buy a s/c before the car.
makes sense to me
Old 03-27-2006, 06:38 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

lets do the math, with a rough estimate of about 550 (215 payment +335 insurance) per month for a 96 cobra (i had one and was paying that much) thats 550 bucks right now that im saving per month not owning one, on top of what i am saving anyways, which is another 300. Thats 850 a month saving for the supercharger and misc. 850x6(months)=5100. Which will get pretty close to buying the sc, tune and installion. if i were to get the car now (which believe me i want to) i'd be saving only 300 a month. It would take 17 months to save that same amount.......... so while you might think its borderline insane, in 6 months i'll have all the parts, and be searching for my car.

now that i look at it from that perspective....... yeah your totally right i think i'll just splurge and wait 17 instead
Old 03-27-2006, 06:42 PM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't buy mods for a car i dont have. I did that before i bought this car, i was in the market for a 5.0 and picked up a set of edelbrock heads, and intake manifold for dirt cheap. But i couldnt wait anymore and had to get a mustng.... ended up with a 4.6 and 5.0 heads and intake.. I learned my lesson!
Old 03-27-2006, 06:44 PM
orang04gt
2nd Gear Member

hey at 850 a month get the 03 cobra and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Buying supercharger first, then car, a few ?'s