4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

hey guys, heres how to milk every horsepower from your stock mass air flow meter

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:59 PM
zanderwitaz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: hey guys, heres how to milk every horsepower from your stock mass air flow meter

seeing as how I have two mass air meters to tinker with, it wont cost me a penny. also, I was examining the airflow differences and the resistor locations. The third resistor was near the very back of the shaft, and then had a very long opening down to the end. but cutting it short, I have allowed the air to travel up the shaft more quickly. In actuality, I think the engine will think im getting too much air, as opposed to too little. Ill let you guys know if I run into any problems. oh and one more thing; according to physics, a helicopter can not fly.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:06 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: hey guys, heres how to milk every horsepower from your stock mass air flow meter

nice reply, but if you got the means to experiment do it. Just be careful, I do understand where these guys are coming from.

If it works, great! if not, i guess like you said you have another one lol

George
Old 03-28-2006, 02:56 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: zanderwitaz

seeing as how I have two mass air meters to tinker with, it wont cost me a penny. also, I was examining the airflow differences and the resistor locations. The third resistor was near the very back of the shaft, and then had a very long opening down to the end. but cutting it short, I have allowed the air to travel up the shaft more quickly. In actuality, I think the engine will think im getting too much air, as opposed to too little. Ill let you guys know if I run into any problems. oh and one more thing; according to physics, a helicopter can not fly.
sure it can. Where did you take your physics lessons?

Anyway, I don't have any idea what will happen with your new mod but if you wanted to get better airflow, you could have just taken the screen out of there.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Screen out = bad idea.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

That hollow tube you cut is used to create a vacuum not to draw air up, it draws the air from the outside edges of the tube through the MAF. By cutting the tube short you are reducing the vacuum created slowing (reducing the velocity) air that is pulled through the MAF sensor. so you will make the engine think you are getting less air.

Removing the screen causes the air flow to be extremly turbulant and causing the MAF meter to have inaccurate readings, resulting in..... You guessed it a leaner A/F. Removing the screen on a DD without a tune = bad idea.

ORIGINAL: zanderwitaz

Old 03-28-2006, 04:05 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

not really, i took out my screen when i did my FIPK and then when i dyno'd before and after the nitrous my a/f was perfect both before and after without a tune.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:08 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DILO2001GT

not really, i took out my screen when i did my FIPK and then when i dyno'd before and after the nitrous my a/f was perfect both before and after without a tune.
You added a smooth intake in conjunction with taking out the screen. If you did it with the stock ripple effect intake then it will be very turbulant.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:23 PM
zanderwitaz
2nd Gear Member

I have an FIPK II also and havent had any problems because there is no screen. I also have a C & L plenum installed and a 70MM throttle body on the way. my mass air meter will be the only stock part left, so i decided to mess around with it. I dont think theres anything left that i can do to to upgrade my intake system except maybe an aftermarket manifold, except there arent any that fit the stock style plenum that i know about. I know the bullet one provides more flow but its a better throttle body. any ideas?