4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PAT system??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 03:57 PM
03cobrafever
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: PAT system??

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

ORIGINAL: mach1fever
say drake..i got this 03 mach ok ...flood damage ..i changed wiring harrnesses ok and GEM box i had no keys at all when i got car had 2 keys made ok ,,i got used steering columm with key from junk yard..im fixing to replace inst cluster it was damaged,,may be that why my car dont start and stay running..the key with the used columm should work right.? whan i get the used cluster to put in it will take the code of the used key..car was flooded 1 inch above the bottom of the cluster....so my car should crank up after right ..? without taking to dealer ..than once running i will get coded tumbler and key pad..
Yeah, if you can find a set of keys that go with a used instrument cluster, the car should start up. The tumbler is only going to read the code, the code is kept in the instrument cluster, which is pretty clever. You don't need to worry about the tumbler, they are all the same.

Only other thing is to be sure there's no water around the base of the coils for your spark plugs, there shouldn't be at this point but you can still pull them off and check. If there's water around a few the car will run like crap when it starts... But it WILL run on only 3/8 cylinders (even if they are all on the same side, too).

Edit: What I said about the autometer cluster, is that it is brand new, used clusters taken from other vehicles already have a key code programmed into them, so they will not accept a new code.
well it looks like i'am going to the dealer [:@] i got a few more things to do before then i got to change out side fuse box ..i checked compression 185psi ,i got to pull trans to change t/ out bearing ..also got take off p/plate and disc.. i still got to put the seats in etc.. no keys for that cluster btw..dealer right .??
Old 03-29-2006, 04:00 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Yeah, buy two un-cut pats-ready keys from ebay, they will be cheap. The dealership is going to rape you for new keys. Get the new blank keys cut, and take them to the dealership to be programmed... have the dealership do as little as possible.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:06 PM
03cobrafever
I ♥ Acer

the 2 door keys i got are not programmed ..they will work to be programmed right ,,so i dont need to buy keys right ....also i need to get the tumbler keyed to my door keys..so i will have a key to start and open car.....here's my car i got a total of $7500 in it right now ,,and counting 13,654 miles. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-29-2006, 04:07 PM
03cobrafever
I ♥ Acer

also the used cluster i'am getting is supposed to have 16,000 miles on it ..can the dealer change it to my old one ..?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:15 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mach1fever

also the used cluster i'am getting is supposed to have 16,000 miles on it ..can the dealer change it to my old one ..?
Damn, beautiful mach

The dealership can NOT change the mileage on the cluster, they just don't have the ability, that can only be done at Ford HQ, just record the old mileage for your records.

If the keys work on the door, they should work in the tumbler too. It's the same key. If your original tumbler worked, stick with it so you can use the same key.

Yes the keys can be re-programmed, the dealership can take care of that for you. I normally don't want to go to the dealership for anything, but this is the only thing that they alone can do... they keep the secrets of PATS locked up.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:15 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

I had to deal with the nasty PATS system with my engine swap. Just went down to dynotuned performance in chesapeake and got a revolutions chip and tune. No more PATS and a nice tune to boot.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:17 PM
03cobrafever
I ♥ Acer

thanks drake you been big help...the other steering columm was fooze up and corroded so replace the whole columm...do i need to order the tumbler to the vin# before hand..?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:18 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

http://www.obd-codes.com/howto/patskey.php

My car only came with one key. Actually, it came with 1 and a half keys.

The dealership had 2 keys listed in their computer but could not locate the 2nd key.

I found it though - broken off and stuck in the trunk the day after I bought the car.

anyway, I used this procedure to add more keys to my car...

Old 03-29-2006, 05:24 PM
03cobrafever
I ♥ Acer

here's my car right after i towed it home..not that bad. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
03cobrafever
I ♥ Acer

do you see the hidden image in this pic...??? i just noticed it.. [IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: PAT system??