4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bunch of stuff on the way, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 03:12 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Bunch of stuff on the way, need some advice

So we are talking a 7 RWHP difference? In other words, basically no difference at all. I simply cannot think of a single race I have ever been in that 7 RWHP would have made any difference at all.

I just dont like the sound of a straight thru system. Its just my opinion, but the ones I have heard (both real life and on that mustang exaust page) sound like a set of glasspacks gone bad to me. Every single flowmaster system I have heard sounds like what a mustang should, at least to me.

If flowmasters mean 7 less horsepower, but my car sounds good, im willing to take that decrease in performance. What are we talking here, .05 the 1/4?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

So we are talking a 7 RWHP difference? In other words, basically no difference at all. I simply cannot think of a single race I have ever been in that 7 RWHP would have made any difference at all.
7HP over Flowmasters from another CATBACK alone is great, coupled with an X-pipe & headers expect that 7RWHP to jump to 12-15RWHP. Hey, figure in some intake mods and expect even more HP over Flowmasters. But in the long run, if that extra HP means nothing to ya, so be it!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:07 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I just dont think a set of mufflers is going to make a 12-15 HP difference, even with full bolt ons.

Remeber as well, no backpressure is not a good thing. I have never personally inspected a set of non chambered mufflers off a car. Is there anything in them, or is it just a pipe?
Old 03-05-2004, 10:50 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

I just dont think a set of mufflers is going to make a 12-15 HP difference, even with full bolt ons.

Remeber as well, no backpressure is not a good thing. I have never personally inspected a set of non chambered mufflers off a car. Is there anything in them, or is it just a pipe?
Again, I am not just talking about the muffler. I am referring to the whole cat-back. The magnaflow muffler itself has a different sound/performance gain than the magnaflow cat-back. & it's not .05sec in a 1/4. It's more like a car length, so approx .20sec if it matters. Even if it was only .05sec...if you drag race...that is MORE trhan enough to win by. But seeing as you chose 3.73's over the proper gear...you probably don't[>:]. A 4.10 w/a straight through system...add another 1.5 car lengths. If the sound of your car is more important the the performance (which it seems) than you should have went w/Hooker LT's, & an MRT h-pipe to couple w/your flows. It'd give you more of that classic sound you like as opposed to an x-pipe.

That whole x-pipe is another thing that confuses me. You say you want that classic mustang sound, & swear by flows, yet went w/a performance system that works against you for that sound you seem so desparate to have. I am not saying that you will not like you setup now, but saying you'd like it more w/a O/R h-pipe. My system is very loud at WOT, but quiet/deep at idle...not raspy at all. Oh yea...be prepared for your BBK x-pipe to rattle a little.

You can see clear through them. I wouldn't classify it as a straight pipe, nor a resonator; rather something in between.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:55 PM
RJM02GTDrag
2nd Gear Member

I do not see that you addressed the MAF on your 2000, go at least 80-85 mm, and a shifter is a must , pro 5.0 or steeda, as well as gears eventually, 3;73.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:33 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

Again, I am not just talking about the muffler. I am referring to the whole cat-back. The magnaflow muffler itself has a different sound/performance gain than the magnaflow cat-back. & it's not .05sec in a 1/4. It's more like a car length, so approx .20sec if it matters. Even if it was only .05sec...if you drag race...that is MORE trhan enough to win by. But seeing as you chose 3.73's over the proper gear...you probably don't[>:]. A 4.10 w/a straight through system...add another 1.5 car lengths. If the sound of your car is more important the the performance (which it seems) than you should have went w/Hooker LT's, & an MRT h-pipe to couple w/your flows. It'd give you more of that classic sound you like as opposed to an x-pipe.

That whole x-pipe is another thing that confuses me. You say you want that classic mustang sound, & swear by flows, yet went w/a performance system that works against you for that sound you seem so desparate to have. I am not saying that you will not like you setup now, but saying you'd like it more w/a O/R h-pipe. My system is very loud at WOT, but quiet/deep at idle...not raspy at all. Oh yea...be prepared for your BBK x-pipe to rattle a little.

You can see clear through them. I wouldn't classify it as a straight pipe, nor a resonator; rather something in between.
I DEFINATLY dont agree on 4.10s being the "Proper gear". Why do you want a gear that is unable to get traction in 1st and 2nd? ATM w/ 3.73s im still having problems with traction in 2nd. Have to slowly roll into it to not break the tires loose. Tires breaking loose = not fast. The 1/2 shift is so fast, espcially with tire spin, I cant imagine it coming any sooner than the speed it does now.

I am not going for a "classic" musclecar sound. I am going for what I believe a mustang should sound like, while getting the maximum performance out of my GT. I do not like the sound of the straight thru systems, and if it costs me 7RWHP in the end, so be it. I can afford to spend a couple hundred extra dollars on something else (which wont be spent on yet another muffler system) to make up the difference. I simply dont prefer the sound.

What I really need to get some info on is the clutch. The exaust system is a moot point. After this, unless I decide I truly need a new catback, I dont see getting one in the future.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:48 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

To get traction w/4.10s you need DR's anyway. I like 555r's, but I have been considering BFG's, because they offer better grip, though they dont' last as long. I thought you'd know that DR's were needed to get good times w/4.10's on a track[&:]

I understand you do not want a straight through system now, but then why do you keep saying max. performance? That's contradictiory. Oh, & w/ml's, or lt's paired w/an x-pipe, & a straight through cat-back....those #'s you don't believe can be had...CAN BE HAD. I'm sure you will get a nice gain from your lt's, & midpipe though. So long as you know as more can be had..hey...happy modding. Just don't try to race my Stang.

But to your point on the clutch. I have a SPEC stage I, but haven't installed it yet. I have heard the stock one is good for at least 350rwhp. I don't know for sure the max. rwhp limit of a factory clutch, so that is why I bought one as backup, but everyone I know, & also discussed w/on other forums recently have been having trouble w/the TOB w/SPEC clutches. Not so much the Stage II, but your listed modificatins dont' warrant you needing a Stage II. It'd be a bit of overkill. Right now, I am looking into another TOB to have just in case, because I am not one to want any unnecessary noise comming from my car. I don't know much on King Cobra, but I do have been considering a Centerforce as my next clutch.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:53 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I havent gone with DRs because I have heard to many nightmare storys about the rain. My next set of tires will be 555Rs.

I have a friend that had a King Cobra on his Fox, and he hated it. The trouble im having is that none of the Centerforce kits I am finding have throwout bearings with them, and the sites dont offer any either.

The reason for the clutch swap is because I am putting in a new T45. Mine has 3rd damaged.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:02 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

My stang is not my daily, so the rain is not an issue w/me. If you are concerned abou that...put the DR's on your rims that are for show, or the ones for the track, so you can just swap out baised on what you are doing. One thing that turned my head away from Nittos is that they do not warranty their DR's, because they are race tires, & I have seen some SERIOUSLY destroyed tires that only had maybe 50miles on them. One pic a guy show'd me the sidwall of his 555r had formed a hump, titi, lump, or whatever you call it, & it only had 12miiles on it. When he came home he saw it, called Nitto & complained, but they'd not switch the tire.

As for the TOB...I'm looking into the Max. Motorsports one. I really like all the quality of their products.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:16 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

webpage?

Quick Reply: Bunch of stuff on the way, need some advice