4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cobra block and goodies...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

Default cobra block and goodies...

hey guys i have a few questions for yall... im getting ready to deploy and after i come back i should have like 5-6k. Well what i wanna do i build me a short block. I found a 96 Cobra Teksid block w/o the internals for 590 bucks and even though it seems very cheap the guy had like upper 90s % positive feedback. Also i found a set of forged rotating assembly made by Mahle. Anyone heard of them? They included the cobra forged crank, h-beam 4340 forged rods, and low compression forged pistons. That kit was going for 1400 brand new. Now here comes the tricky part.... i found a set of 4v heads that came out of 97 Lincoln mark VIII. They claim that the heads are almost identical to the 96 cobra heads and should fit right up. Im planning on p&ping the heads. They were for 250 but they are used (w/cams but i dont care about that). So please give me ur opinions on this setup. For those of u that dont know i got a p1sc procharger at 8 psi and im planning on upping the boost up to 14 psi. thanks guys.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

Default RE: cobra block and goodies...

nobody has any ideas???
Old 04-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

no one knows anything about these???? so sad
Old 04-01-2006, 12:58 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Dont know about the internals or the heads.. the price is about right for the bare used block though. Does it have any of the accesories with it? (water pump, alt, etc)? That could be why its so cheap as well.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:01 AM
VARifleman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Davojan59

hey guys i have a few questions for yall... im getting ready to deploy and after i come back i should have like 5-6k. Well what i wanna do i build me a short block. I found a 96 Cobra Teksid block w/o the internals for 590 bucks and even though it seems very cheap the guy had like upper 90s % positive feedback. Also i found a set of forged rotating assembly made by Mahle. Anyone heard of them? They included the cobra forged crank, h-beam 4340 forged rods, and low compression forged pistons. That kit was going for 1400 brand new. Now here comes the tricky part.... i found a set of 4v heads that came out of 97 Lincoln mark VIII. They claim that the heads are almost identical to the 96 cobra heads and should fit right up. Im planning on p&ping the heads. They were for 250 but they are used (w/cams but i dont care about that). So please give me ur opinions on this setup. For those of u that dont know i got a p1sc procharger at 8 psi and im planning on upping the boost up to 14 psi. thanks guys.
That steel is pretty damn hard dude... http://www.suppliersonline.com/prope.../4340.asp#Spec

Mahle is one of the companies that you can choose for a built VT engines, code could probably give you the best info on them, but if VT will put it their engines, it can't be too bad...
Old 04-01-2006, 06:30 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Davojan59

Mahle is a damned good company, so no problems there. The only way to tell if the heads fit, is to try and bolt them up and check the alignment of cyliders/ports. You need to have the intake, too. As for the cams, you'd need to know the grind, and I don't. You'd be better off replacing them with stage 2s anyway for your application.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

oh all right well thats cool...now what if i just decide to get that cobra block with the internals and use my stock heads with it? That way ill be able to use all my other accessories. So is that cobra block any different than my windsor block?...well besides being 10x stronger? thanks guys
Old 04-01-2006, 12:45 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

sell your s/c and buy a complete 03/04 cobra engine and add a pulley...problem solved
Old 04-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

thats a little high for a used block www.karkraft.com
the only differnce between the 2v and 4v is two front cover blots in the front so you should be fine using a cobra block i have been wanting to do the same and go to the alumium block.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:29 PM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

Good luck with the deployment!!! Where are you going? Spent 12 months in Iraq with the 3rd ID first time around!

Quick Reply: cobra block and goodies...