4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

rotor types and brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default rotor types and brake pads

Time for brakes again... but I was wondering should I also upgrade my rotor as well? (this will be a daily driver)

You have crossdrilled, slotted, crossdrilled and slotted and oem - which one is better though? Also, what pad is the best?
Old 04-01-2006, 03:20 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: rotor types

I am going to be getting slotted. Cross drilled only helps you in road racing... for DD the slotted helps them stay much cooler.

depends where you drive, if you do a lot of highway the slotted are gonna be better than stock

George
Old 04-01-2006, 03:39 PM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

rotors can help, but if I was going to spend the money on them I would do a full brake upgrade with bigger calipers ect. I am happy with my simple upgrade pads. EBC and Hawk make realy good replacements. Slotted rotors would be good if you can find them cheap, or if you dont mind spending the money.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:27 PM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the Cobra upgrade package is worth it. Mustangtuning has it for about 450. Add EBC brake pads and you have a great set up.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

if your gonna up grade go ahead and get the cobra package if not then i would go with wagner thermo quiet pads and regular rotors

the reason for the wagner pads is they are garrenteed not to make noise or wear out so when they do wear out you get another set free and they also have a nice side effect of reduced break dust.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tim37
the reason for the wagner pads is they are garrenteed not to make noise or wear out so when they do wear out you get another set free and they also have a nice side effect of reduced break dust.
Thats what I use now... but what do you mean by "garrenteed not to make noise or wear out so when they do wear out you get another set free"? I got my breaks in 11/05 - does that qualify?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:32 PM
slappy

I am also looking for new rotors. Mine shakes when stopping so I think my fronts may be warped. I didn't think I was that hard on them, but I guess that I am.

I looked at mustangtuning and they are sold out of everything but the MACH 1 and 2001 Bullitt Brake Conversion Kit. It looks the same as the others with just the caliper is painted different, is that the case?

When I replace the calipers I planned on changing the brake fluid. Has anyone else done this and if so what type of brake fluid was used? Anyone think synthetics would be any better than just normal brake fluid?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 PM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

They are probly the same, the pistons in the calipers may be a smidge smaller, but you will still get the improvements you want.
Use DOT 4 brake fluid
Also put your wheels on with a torque wrench insted of a air powerd impact wrench, it will keep your rotors from warping.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:43 PM
slappy

Thanks for the info on the kits.

I always use a torque wrench which is why I can't believe they warped so soon.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:25 AM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the Cobra Bullit and Mach brake kits are all the same.

Quick Reply: rotor types and brake pads