4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supppercharged.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:24 PM
mself52
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: supppercharged.

i dont have a procharger yet thats what im going with when i get one....i was at mobile dragway last saturday... whats going on thursday? ill prolly be going to gulfport wed.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

This is the **** I was trying to get rid of on this site with my street video. I will race ANY comparable setup GT with a 1.7L stoplight to stoplight with the vortech. Yes, you do not make 10,000,000 RWTQ at 8 RPMs with the vortech kits. However, as the video showed, you stay out of your powerband for about .1 seconds of every race.

The KBs, espcially the 1.7Ls, get EATEN by vortech cars. I have never seen a 1.7L car with comparable mods to mine run or dyno like mine did. I have also never seen a stock shortblock KB car run anything close to a 11.90 on street tires.

Also, my kit is NON intercooled. There is a intercooled guy on here with stock motor making 440 RWHP, hell I don't think he even has camshafts.

The KB kits are a waste of money on a 2v IMO. Why spend all of that extra cash for a slower less streetable car??? if you really have that much cash and want to spend it all get a set of blower cams with your vortech install and really make some power. The non intercooled vortech kit with blower cams should make 430~ rwhp easy on a dynojet with the stock bottom end, no intercooler.

Edit: Also, your engine will not survive 700 RWHP with just a bottom end swap. you will need a new block as well, the blocks seem to give up around 550~ rwhp. Several companys are selling stronger blocks now to give you the option of making more. You would of course need ported heads and blower cams at that point, but you already alluded to that.
...This is a pretty one sided response. First of all, I have seen several 1.7 kb cars run well into the 11's. As a matter of fact, there is a guy on this site who recently posted a high 10 sec run on a 3v block. It is VERY obvious that you have never owned or driven a twin screw setup. If you really think that comparable vortec setups will EAT a comparable kb setup, you don't get out enough to the track. Yes, centrifugal setups shine their best at the track, but screw set ups are phenominal for the street. Do not underestimate a properly set up screw car.
One thing I enjoy doing while traveling around race to race, is check out all the different mustang setups at the track. I have seen literally thousands of blown mustangs, and watched them run. -And i'm tellin ya that a properly set up screw car is not to be underestimated.
if you really have that much cash and want to spend it all get a set of blower cams with your vortech install and really make some power.
Why would he want to do a cam swap if he wants to keep his hp in the safe range? He could just run more boost. The cam swap would be a waste of $ for him. (especially if he's on a budget)
I have never seen a 1.7L car with comparable mods to mine run or dyno like mine did. I have also never seen a stock shortblock KB car run anything close to a 11.90 on street tires.
This statement shows us that you have very little experience at the track. Guys are doing it left and right, all over the country.
I am speaking on this topic from personal experience. I have oned and tuned both twin screw setups and centrifugal setups. Having had experience with both, for a street setup, you can't beat a twin screw product. Centrifugal blowers do their best work at the track. Screws shine their best on the street, not the other way around.
Why spend all of that extra cash for a slower less streetable car?
Comments like this show your lack of experience with screw cars.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:29 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Sometimes I debate in my head still which kit I want...KB or Vortech or Procharger. I will say this...if you ever want to make more then 500RWHP (like I do). Don't waste money on the 1.7L KB. It reaches its maximum output/efficiency around 500rwhp. If I do decide to go with the KB for the lowend torque fun, I will be looking at the 2.2L KB. The 1.7L is a waste of money IMO.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

This is the **** I was trying to get rid of on this site with my street video. I will race ANY comparable setup GT with a 1.7L stoplight to stoplight with the vortech. Yes, you do not make 10,000,000 RWTQ at 8 RPMs with the vortech kits. However, as the video showed, you stay out of your powerband for about .1 seconds of every race.

The KBs, espcially the 1.7Ls, get EATEN by vortech cars. I have never seen a 1.7L car with comparable mods to mine run or dyno like mine did. I have also never seen a stock shortblock KB car run anything close to a 11.90 on street tires.

Also, my kit is NON intercooled. There is a intercooled guy on here with stock motor making 440 RWHP, hell I don't think he even has camshafts.

The KB kits are a waste of money on a 2v IMO. Why spend all of that extra cash for a slower less streetable car??? if you really have that much cash and want to spend it all get a set of blower cams with your vortech install and really make some power. The non intercooled vortech kit with blower cams should make 430~ rwhp easy on a dynojet with the stock bottom end, no intercooler.

Edit: Also, your engine will not survive 700 RWHP with just a bottom end swap. you will need a new block as well, the blocks seem to give up around 550~ rwhp. Several companys are selling stronger blocks now to give you the option of making more. You would of course need ported heads and blower cams at that point, but you already alluded to that.
...This is a pretty one sided response. First of all, I have seen several 1.7 kb cars run well into the 11's. As a matter of fact, there is a guy on this site who recently posted a high 10 sec run on a 3v block. It is VERY obvious that you have never owned or driven a twin screw setup. If you really think that comparable vortec setups will EAT a comparable kb setup, you don't get out enough to the track. Yes, centrifugal setups shine their best at the track, but screw set ups are phenominal for the street. Do not underestimate a properly set up screw car.
One thing I enjoy doing while traveling around race to race, is check out all the different mustang setups at the track. I have seen literally thousands of blown mustangs, and watched them run. -And i'm tellin ya that a properly set up screw car is not to be underestimated.
if you really have that much cash and want to spend it all get a set of blower cams with your vortech install and really make some power.
Why would he want to do a cam swap if he wants to keep his hp in the safe range? He could just run more boost. The cam swap would be a waste of $ for him. (especially if he's on a budget)
I have never seen a 1.7L car with comparable mods to mine run or dyno like mine did. I have also never seen a stock shortblock KB car run anything close to a 11.90 on street tires.
This statement shows us that you have very little experience at the track. Guys are doing it left and right, all over the country.
I am speaking on this topic from personal experience. I have oned and tuned both twin screw setups and centrifugal setups. Having had experience with both, for a street setup, you can't beat a twin screw product. Centrifugal blowers do their best work at the track. Screws shine their best on the street, not the other way around.
Why spend all of that extra cash for a slower less streetable car?
Comments like this show your lack of experience with screw cars.

I just want to say thank you and great post bro!
Old 04-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

meh i got a procharger and bought it brand new for 3600 intercooled....and loving it. put down 417 with only exhaust and gears.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

ok so its a waste of money to get a 1.7?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:13 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

what kind of difference would i see in a vortech vs a kb.

right of the line would the kb kick in? i mean if i dropped the gt from like 3200rpms wouldnt a vortech kick it right then too?
this is the problem im having? i dont underestimate either.. i just want to get a bang for my buck and have fun with it. i dont mind staying around the 500rwhp ill go faster in a few years /...

oh and whats the difference between a vortech and a procharger?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:43 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

who could install a kb 1.7 if i bought one? could i?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:15 PM
BamBam

The 1.7 is not a waste of money IMO. The power is instant, and makes as much power as a stock lower end can handle (more actually). The installation is straight forward if you are mechanically inclined enough to do a full intake removal / supercharger installation. The KB instructions are straight forward and clearly printed. In my opinion, the heat exchanger is probably the most tedius mechanical aspect of the install.

If you really want bang for the buck that is instant, by NOS! If you want to have fun and be happy with your decision, buy what you want after you do some research. Be satisfied with the performance level offered being what you want, that the look and feel meet your personal taste, and that at the end of the day "YOU" made the decision. Satisfy yourself, and you will always be happy!

One question though. If centrifugals are so user and street friendly, why doesn't a vehicle manufacturer use one? I guess the folks over in the SVT program just missed it!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:17 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

My reason for thinking the 1.7L KB is a waste is that if you were to build you bottom end and want more power...you wouldnt be able to get past about 500RWHP. If I decide to go with KB it will definately be the 2.2L kit.