4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:58 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Default What do you guys think?

I just made an appointment with a shop to diablo chip/dynotune my car. The guy doing this said he gaurantees atleast 15-20 hp with my mods because it has never been reprogrammed before. First off, is this true?? can someone actually get that much hp from a tune?? Second question...i currently have a Accufab 70mm t/b and plenum. Do you think it would be worth it to ask the guy to port and polish the t/b and plenum before he does the tune?? I read about people doing it...but will the results be worth it for the money I'll have to pay?? I was just thinking of doing this because i know you can pick up a few hp...just not certain on how much?? Any feedback? thanks guys
Old 04-06-2006, 12:04 AM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What do you guys think?

What are your mods. A professional who is good at tuning should be able to get more out
Old 04-06-2006, 12:11 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Here is a list of everything i have done...this is through an auto tranny

SLP Longtube Headers
SLP o/r xpipe
SLP Loudmouth catback
FRPP 4.10 gears
Transgo Shift Kit
BBK CAI
Accufab 70mm t/b and plenum
Steeda UDP
Old 04-06-2006, 12:14 AM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Yeah 20 is do-able
Old 04-06-2006, 12:16 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

And what do you think about porting/polishing the throttle body and plenum?? Worth it or no?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:29 AM
phantom1
1st Gear Member

From everything I've heard and read, 15-20 is doable with the diablo and SCT's. However, I would leave your Accufab setup alone. Those guys spent alot of time and research getting that setup as optimum as possible and if someone tries to port it, they will most likely screw it up and make you loose HP or torque, or both. The only way to better your TB/Plenum setup would be to go with a 75MM unit. You could then recoup some of your lost dollars on ebay by selling your 70mm unit. Just a thought. Most of the time when you hear about someone porting a TB or upper plenum they are refering to their stock unit. Good luck with the tune.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:33 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

oh okay...i figured it was stock units because it didn't really make sense to buy an aftermarket product and mess with it even more. I think i'm not even going to bother with it and just see what this guy can make of my car with the chip/dynotune...if you guys had to guess what would you say??
Old 04-06-2006, 12:42 AM
phantom1
1st Gear Member

I'm gonna throw out an in the dark, wild @$$ swag of 18 RWHP (realistic, but hope for 22). The tune will be able to optimize the LT's, full exhaust, and open intake and all those mods working in concert with optimum a/f and timing is nothin but good stuff! Let me know what it turns out to be.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phantom1

From everything I've heard and read, 15-20 is doable with the diablo and SCT's. However, I would leave your Accufab setup alone. Those guys spent alot of time and research getting that setup as optimum as possible and if someone tries to port it, they will most likely screw it up and make you loose HP or torque, or both. The only way to better your TB/Plenum setup would be to go with a 75MM unit. You could then recoup some of your lost dollars on ebay by selling your 70mm unit. Just a thought. Most of the time when you hear about someone porting a TB or upper plenum they are refering to their stock unit. Good luck with the tune.
Not true at all. Bigger does not mean better, especially on a NA. The numbers will be exactly the same if not worse with the 75 mm. Now if he had some sort of FI then you would start to see some gains.

15-20 is definately doable.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:51 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

If 15-20rwhp is really doable with a chip/dynotune i can't wait to get this done! I thought this guy was b/sing me. I made an appointment next week so I'll let you guys know the results...thanks guys

Quick Reply: What do you guys think?