4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

when I work on my car, its as easy as...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Master
3rd Gear Member

Default when I work on my car, its as easy as...

am i the only one with bad luck?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:23 AM
redstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: when I work on my car, its as easy as...

just take ur time and dont half *** things.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:46 AM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

One thing I've learned is that you can't get into taking care of your own car until you have the proper tools to do so. A good manual is important too. And of course, everyone around here is kick a$$ when it come to helping out!!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:04 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

have you read my many posts? I've run into so many hurtles it's unbelieveable. but the great thing though is I'm learning so it's not that bad. i wanna be a master tech some day and the only way to get there is experience!

George
Old 04-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The biggest problem people have working on late model cars, instructions do not show you or teach you how to be creative.

Nearly every job you do, even with powertools, takes some creativity to either get started, take out or complete.

AND, if you are afraid to break it, you just need to pay a mechanic, because they do it for a living and the only way you can get a job done is to not be afraid to break it
Old 04-07-2006, 03:40 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

i voted for Damn I thought it would be easier.... cuz it always looks easier then ends up being one PITA
Old 04-07-2006, 04:00 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

I find a pre-fixing routine of thumping music, energy drinks, chew, and full toolbox makes things simple.

If it doesn't go, PUSH HARDER!... if it breaks, get another tool and push even harder
Old 04-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Albrutis

It always works best when 1 of your best friends is a master mechanic and has all the tools, the other one is skinny and can get in all the hard to reach places and I have the muscle to pick up a car if I need to.[sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 04-07-2006, 12:24 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

I'm with Dan, creativity is the key. If you have the capabilty to calmly sit when stuck take a break and creatively explore possible solutions you will succeed in time, and gain success. Experiencing adversity is what makes one a great mechanic. Every time you overcome an "impossible" problem you grow in experience and confidence. Buy repair manuals, the factotry ones are the best, but expensive! If you plan on keeping the car at least 5 yrs, go factory, otherwise, grab a Haynes.

I like machines that challenge me. One of my favorite motorcycles is a 1981 Honda CBX, 24 valve, 6cyl. The valves are shim in bucket, like a Jaguar, and take 4 hrs to adjust. There are 6 carbs on the bike and they are extremely tempermental to sychronize and adjust mixture, but I love working on it, I guess I'm a mechanical masochist. Every chance you get , buy tools, I have tools that I bought at 17 that are now 33years old! Your Mustang can be the greatest learning tool you have ever owned, don't be afraid to wrench on it.

John
Old 04-07-2006, 12:34 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

yup, i've gotten pissed a few times but i've learned so much so far. every vehicle i have owned has been a guinea pig for me

Quick Reply: when I work on my car, its as easy as...