4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How long SHOULD a clutch last?

Old 04-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

Default How long SHOULD a clutch last?

So I bought 00' stang not to long ago and they replaced the clutch.. My question is how long should a clutch last? The reason I ask is because I was at the stoplight and smoke was just rollin out from under the car. Once I smelled it, I was like CLUTCH! There is only about 1300 miles on the clutch since they "said" it was replaced. This pisses me off to no end becuase the car is no longer under warranty and they will not do anything about it. So, how much do new clutches run? Or, what is a low cost, reliable clutch to get? I so did not want to spend money on this. I have trouble believing that I drive that crapy that my clutch failed that soon. [:@]
Old 04-08-2006, 01:24 AM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How long SHOULD a clutch last?

well one thing that sucks about a five speed is that warrantees do not cover clutches because the slutch is a worn item like a brake. well the best that you can get is a stage 2 clutch from pretty much whoever, really depends on what company you wanna stay with. when you change your clutch...MAKE sure you turn the flywheel. another cood clutch but very heavy clutch is the king cobra. grabs very good but will wear out a leg real fast. very heavy clutch. i plan on getting a stage 2 soon. but you have the t 45 and i have the tremec which is a lot lighter. i had 97 with a t 45 and king cobra and the clutch sucked in traffic. i got cramps at the light if i held it in first through a red light
Old 04-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

What do you mean there is just smoke coming out from under the car??? Were you burning out or something? How is a clutch just gonna smoke at a light?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mach1

What do you mean there is just smoke coming out from under the car??? Were you burning out or something? How is a clutch just gonna smoke at a light?
Yep, I was just sittin at a redlight and it was smoking (no burnout). It reaks like clutch, no doubt about it.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:30 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

I`ve seen it before. If your beating on the car pretty good, you will see smoke..... Been there. [&:]
Old 04-08-2006, 01:30 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

+103
Old 04-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

SHHHH, my wife might see this!
Old 04-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangc83

well one thing that sucks about a five speed is that warrantees do not cover clutches because the slutch is a worn item like a brake. well the best that you can get is a stage 2 clutch from pretty much whoever, really depends on what company you wanna stay with. when you change your clutch...MAKE sure you turn the flywheel. another cood clutch but very heavy clutch is the king cobra. grabs very good but will wear out a leg real fast. very heavy clutch. i plan on getting a stage 2 soon. but you have the t 45 and i have the tremec which is a lot lighter. i had 97 with a t 45 and king cobra and the clutch sucked in traffic. i got cramps at the light if i held it in first through a red light
I found the king cobra to be around $169, so not so bad.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:36 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Are you beating on your newly installed clutch? Did you break it in at all.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:44 AM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

Are you beating on your newly installed clutch? Did you break it in at all.

I dont think I really beat on it. But, downshifting and canning it at least a couple times when I drive it is prolly not good for it. Not to mention, tonight just before it went bad I did a downshift and hit the revlimiter. Damn that Acura ricer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long SHOULD a clutch last?