4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

Default 2 questions

I was wondering if I could get a shaker setup for my regular GT and if it would look as nice as the original machs. If so, how much would it cost and where (a link please?) can I find it?

2nd question (watch out, this one is a tricky two-part): For Nitrous...Can you have it set up so you don't have to press the button for it to spray? I havent looked into nitrous much my main idea has been to go with kenne bell. Im thinking that the KB setup for the 2.2 is a bit more expensive then I'd like to spend.
Also, for people who have nitrous...is it a big pain in the @$$ to get the bottle refilled every now and then?

Thanks in advance guys, take it easy.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:37 PM
mself52
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2 questions

the shaker kit is pretty expensive and will look the same.... for the record its a cosmetic mod not performance....the nitrous is a switch you flip it the nitrous is armed then the safeties controll the spray.... and no it shouldnt be hard to get a nitrous bottle filled most speed shops can fill them and weld shops can also if you know a welder....
Old 04-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I know its just a cosemetic mod

Im lost at 1 thing...when does the nitrous kick in when the safeties control the spray? [sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 04-09-2006, 01:50 PM
mself52
3rd Gear Member

depends on your safeties here are a few that i know of:

WOT (wide open throttle) this is the most common comes with all kits usually and what it does is after you arm the nitrous it will not spray untill your gas pedal is floored.....

RPM Switch aka Window Switch this is the best one and most ppl buy this as a safer way to control nitrous this will allow you to set to range of rpm's that you want the nitrous to spray this means you can have start rpm and a STOP rpm so you dont ding the rev limiter.

PROGRESSIVE this one is very nifty for the strip you can actually set the nitrous on a timer so that you can launch with the spray... you can set it for differnt % of nitrous at certain times.... for example after .5 sec spray 30% nitrous and increase to 100% at WOT after so many seconds...helps your car launch

FUEL PRESSURE SWITCH this is a safety that makes sure your fuel pressure is correct for the amount of nitrous so that your engine doesnt run lean or rich (someone else chime in on this one im not really familiar with it)
Old 04-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

Thats very helpful, thanks. Im leaning towards WOT or Progressive right now, maybe RPM. I'll put more thought into it later. What all do I need to safely run n2o? Im thinking in the long run either a 150 or a 200 shot. (Yes I realize I need to have my engine rebuilt to hold the nos). Im talking specifically nitrous items.

Just for the record, I'll be starting with something smaller like a 50 or 100 shot, then once I get used to how everything works, THEN move up to the big boy toys.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:59 PM
mself52
3rd Gear Member

without forged internals not goin to be able to safely run 200.... if you ask me dont go over 100 on the stock engine for safe spray....and get a zex wet kit and buy a rpm switch.....make sure you dont have anything advancing your timing and buy a set of NGK TR6 plugs and your good to go
Old 04-09-2006, 02:03 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Butters

Thats very helpful, thanks. Im leaning towards WOT or Progressive right now, maybe RPM. I'll put more thought into it later. What all do I need to safely run n2o? Im thinking in the long run either a 150 or a 200 shot. (Yes I realize I need to have my engine rebuilt to hold the nos). Im talking specifically nitrous items.
Nothing but the kit. I picked up the Zex wet kit and its nitrous controller has a WOT switch built in. I have no other accessories and I feel totally safe spraying. No purge, no bottle warmer, none of the extra junk. A window switch would be nice, but I'm cautious when I use the nitrous, and I don't use it often... I've had the kit close to six months and I haven't even gone through one bottle's worth... but it is probably a bit over 1/2 gone.

Progressive controllers are expensive... just get a Zex kit and pick up an aftermarket window switch and you'll be fine... the only other thing you should be concerned about is your bottle temp + nitrous pressure, but as long as the bottle is warm (but not too hot) and is over 1/4 full you'll have correct pressure. It's not the best way to go obviously but you'll be spending a lot less than someone who bought all the extra junk.

Edit: The new Zex kits have a fuel pressure sensor built in, too... How could you possibly go wrong now? They're making it almost totally idiot proof.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

I'm probably going to pick up a dry 100 shot, the NGK TR6 plugs, and the arming, purge, and I forget the other one [>:] switches that go in your cup holder set.

After my bolt-ons and 4:10's of course. [sm=nxsmile.gif]