4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger kit build...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:25 PM
hawwk11
3rd Gear Member

Default Supercharger kit build...

Edit: I just found this s/c kit for 2949. It is a powerdyne kit but it skips my year for some reason which is 99 WYF. they have 98 and 2000 whats up with that, also will one of these still work on my car 99 GT and why is it so cheap compared to others

* Above image may not depict the product you will receive.

Price Too Low To Advertise!
We are unable to display our price for this product because it is substantially below list price ($4,535.81) and below the minimum advertising price permitted by the product manufacturer. If you would like to obtain an INSTANTANEOUS price quotation, please enter your e-mail address below.

This feature does not store e-mail addresses.

Part Number: PD-K10196-101
Manufacturer: Powerdyne Products
Fits: 2000-2001 Ford Mustang GT
Usually Ships in 4-6 business days

Description System Contents Installation Warranty Reviews

This Powerdyne Supercharger Kit bolts on upto 50% more horsepower and torque and features an internal set-up Silentdrive that incorporates a reinforced toothed timing belt and an advanced design Hyperdyne impeller. This Powerdyne is a fully self contained unit which does not require complicated plumbing to the engine oil supply. This vastly simplifies installation and also means the blower operates at much lower temperatures which translates into a cooler charge temperature. All of this results in an incredibly quiet and powerful supercharger.

Features:

Supercharger Head Unit
Mounting Bracket Assembly
All hoses and hardware
Air Intake Assembly
By-pass Valve
Air Discharge Assembly
255LPH Fuel Pump Assembly
High Flow Air Filter
Diablo Chip

I want to get a supercharger but i know the average price for a kit is 4K. I dont have 4k and want to know has anyone built a kit from scratch just buying the parts as they get the money. I know this will cost a little more but if it will help me get the kit i am willing to do it, what else will i need other than the following, thanks,

Head unit
injectors
fuel pump
Tune
Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 AM
209Cobra

Default RE: Supercharger kit build...

I have a ProCharger setup on a '98 Cobra, and I can add to your list the following items that are on my car...

Intercooler
Fuel Regulator
Boost gauge w/sensor
Fuel Pressure gauge w/sensor
New MAF
New fuel rails?
Inlet Air Temp sensor

Now, there are other bits and pieces that are going to be required for the supercharger itself. You may need to have new hoses, belts and pulleys if you are buying a used supercharger coming off an existing application depending on how much use it has. The install of the supercharger is quite intense too. I have a book that came with mine that provides the step by step procedure, but I imagine that this will necessarily vary depending on the specific system that you are installing. For example, on mine it is a self contained unit that does not require an oil feed to the oil pan, but others do require this. If you are going to use an oil feed from your engine, then you will need to drill a hole in your oil pan and then connect that to the supercharger unit. And when you do that, then you will need to always run full synthetic oil on your engine according to the directions that I have seen. On the self contained units, there is a special oil that you buy just for the unit itself which can also be a little pricey, but it doesn't hold or use very much of it during operation.

If your car is a '99 model or newer, then you may have some other issues. The '99 and newer cars have a returnless fuel system which means that you will need a fuel management unit that specifies a specific voltage to be sent to the in-tank fuel pump rather than using a pneumatic mechanical unit. I have a friend that has a '99 GT with a Vortech system and he got around this by running a return hose from the fuel rail back to the tank and zip tying the hose under the car. He is now working on changing the system back to a retunless setup, but the solution that he is going with requires that a '99 or newer Cobra gas tank and fuel pump are installed. I think he said the tank and pump ran about $800 uninstalled.

One other thing, the supercharger system that I have caused some problems with the stock Cobra engine and the Vortech system on my friends car did the same thing. I'm only running about 10 lbs of boost and he's running about 14, but in both cases, the engine didn't seem to like the added demands of the supercharger. So both of the engines have been completely rebuilt using forged internals and they run without any problems now. I don't know how much it cost for the build on his engine, but it was about $7k for mine.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:59 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

you will need the bracket, the coil pack relocation bracket, the head unit, a discharge tube, the inlet tube, a 90 degree plastic intake elbow, maf bracket, probably some flex hose, a bypass valve to be connected to the inlet pipe (which needs 2 other holes for the hose that needs to be connected to the upper intake and the hose that attaches to the pcv on the drivers side valve cover, upgraded maf-fuel pump-injectors, vacuum lines for bypass valve, a ribbed idler pulley, fuel feed line w/fittings and fuel dran hose w/ brass fittings to connect to oil pan, a short aluminum tube to lengthen the upper rad hose, all bolts/clamps/ hoses/ misc, and youll need the belt of course. tune is 100% needed. id honestly just save up and get the full kit if i were you. itll cost about the same. what i listed is what youd need for most centrifugal kits.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:22 PM
hawwk11
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys i think i'll just save 4 the kit to be safe. Appreciate it!!

-Herm
Old 04-10-2006, 02:27 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

How much HP were you making?

When you said it din't like the setup, what was the motor doing? Did it frag? Or did it just not run right?

I am about to ProCharge my '00 GT and was told everything I needed for the fuel system was included in the kit/install and also that I should be in the high 300hp range with 8psi and no trouble. I'm getting the 3-core intercooler in case I want to build the bottom later and bump the boost.

ORIGINAL: 209Cobra

I have a ProCharger setup on a '98 Cobra, and I can add to your list the following items that are on my car...

Intercooler
Fuel Regulator
Boost gauge w/sensor
Fuel Pressure gauge w/sensor
New MAF
New fuel rails?
Inlet Air Temp sensor

Now, there are other bits and pieces that are going to be required for the supercharger itself. You may need to have new hoses, belts and pulleys if you are buying a used supercharger coming off an existing application depending on how much use it has. The install of the supercharger is quite intense too. I have a book that came with mine that provides the step by step procedure, but I imagine that this will necessarily vary depending on the specific system that you are installing. For example, on mine it is a self contained unit that does not require an oil feed to the oil pan, but others do require this. If you are going to use an oil feed from your engine, then you will need to drill a hole in your oil pan and then connect that to the supercharger unit. And when you do that, then you will need to always run full synthetic oil on your engine according to the directions that I have seen. On the self contained units, there is a special oil that you buy just for the unit itself which can also be a little pricey, but it doesn't hold or use very much of it during operation.

If your car is a '99 model or newer, then you may have some other issues. The '99 and newer cars have a returnless fuel system which means that you will need a fuel management unit that specifies a specific voltage to be sent to the in-tank fuel pump rather than using a pneumatic mechanical unit. I have a friend that has a '99 GT with a Vortech system and he got around this by running a return hose from the fuel rail back to the tank and zip tying the hose under the car. He is now working on changing the system back to a retunless setup, but the solution that he is going with requires that a '99 or newer Cobra gas tank and fuel pump are installed. I think he said the tank and pump ran about $800 uninstalled.

One other thing, the supercharger system that I have caused some problems with the stock Cobra engine and the Vortech system on my friends car did the same thing. I'm only running about 10 lbs of boost and he's running about 14, but in both cases, the engine didn't seem to like the added demands of the supercharger. So both of the engines have been completely rebuilt using forged internals and they run without any problems now. I don't know how much it cost for the build on his engine, but it was about $7k for mine.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:23 PM
hawwk11
3rd Gear Member

Original message edited:
Old 04-10-2006, 04:35 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

99s are the oddball year. for vortech there is a separate bracket and pulley setup just for the 99s. i dont know specifically but the pulleys are setup different. i know vortech has a kit for the 99s
Old 04-11-2006, 12:57 AM
209Cobra

The car is making 383 RWHP with just under 10lbs of boost as measured on a Mustang EC997a dyno. I have the 3-core intercooler and when they dyno'd the car, the guys at the shop were quite impressed that the air temp after the compressor was almost the same as the inlet temp. I'm not totally sure what went wrong with the engine before it was rebuilt, and I don't know what happened with my friend's GT either, but I do know that the only problems that have occured since have been related to fuel pump and hose issues - no engine issues at all. I know that my engine seems to burn a lot of oil (1qt per 2k-3k miles) in comparison to a stock motor, but I guess that's to be expected due to forged internals expanding and contracting with heat.