4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech Supercharger?

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

I think I decided to go the Mongoose Kit route now...it includes everything needed for the install for almost the same price. Does anybody know the difference between the SQ and S trim s/c's?? I was planning on going with the SQ trim...
The SQ is not a specific trim. The V1 and the V2 SQ are both S-trim centrifugal superchargers. The V1 is the original style and has a much louder whistle to it, the V2 SQ is the "superquiet" and has a much quieter whistle sound.

Your rear end should be fine, breaking the rear end usually happens when launching from high RPM. Not from having too much horsepower. As long as you arent runnin at the track dumping at 5kRPM on the stock rear end I think you will be fine.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:11 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

So basically, if you want to hear the whine get an S trim??
Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Lol they are both S-trim...the difference is V1 or V2 SQ but both are S-trim (same size). And if you want to hear the "whistle" really loud get a V1.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

okay...but on mph site it says you get to pick from the s trim or an sq...thats why i wasn't sure...so i guess ill go with the s trim

i was also thinking, if i was to buy that kit, i would also need a boost gauge right? And any thoughts on pulleys and powerpipes? or should i just keep it how it is and see how i like it first?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

if youre gonna get a powerpipe...you might as well get it when u get the supercharger installed...that way you can get it tuned for the psi you will be running at and be done with it. and yea might as well get a boost gauge and an a/f gauge or something. at the very least it looks bad *** on the a pillar haha.

and senior in high school? where are you getting the money for a supercharger man? share the wealth! [:@] lol. good luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:49 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

Lol they are both S-trim...the difference is V1 or V2 SQ but both are S-trim (same size). And if you want to hear the "whistle" really loud get a V1.
There is a "S" and a "SQ" V2 blower. The SQ has a differently cut impeller than the S. The SQ is quieter, and Tim at MPH has proven that it also makes slightly more power.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

My goal was to only get 300 rwhp...so i think this should do more than the trick. I'm only a senior in highschool so it should be plenty to compete around here. Can Anybody else chime in on the difference between the S trim and the SQ?? Also, hwo does that Mongoose kit look from MPH?? That's everything I'll need for the complete install right?
The MPH kit is extremely complete, and the best part is you get a tune from them. I have never seen a tune that was so accurate right out of the box. They were able to tune my car better never having seen it than my local shop could before I even had boost!

The only thing I recommend is either getting the power pipe right away, or asking them if they can send ya a seal from the powerpipe kit. The stock vortech seal is almost impossible to fit around the 90 MM lightning MAF they send ya.

If/when you do go this route, PM me if you have any questions. I did the install in the garage just a few weeks ago, so it is all still pretty fresh in my mind.

BTW that is just sick that you only have 37,000 on a 98 GT. Talk about mint condition!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:54 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Thanks alot 200gt4.6 for the help....

I am definately going to go with the Mongoose S trim kit with a powerpipe....

what boost do you guys recommend i run?? i was planning 10lbs...does that sound too high/low?

I can't wait till this goes through, from what you guys are saying this s/c sounds awsome
Old 04-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

i think you should probably be fine with 10 lbs....i think the maximum recommended safe amount is 12.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:28 PM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

I thought 8# was about max? I mean I relize you could run more but that realy wears on the wrist pins at 10-12# on a factory motor. Also with longtubes........your pretty much gonna crap when you see how much power you end up with.

Quick Reply: Vortech Supercharger?