4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How do you afford your mods ??

Old 04-10-2006, 06:04 PM
StriktlyGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How do you afford your mods ??

ORIGINAL: ALSANT99

I sell myself on the corner of 26th&california chicago
I might have to consider that as an option. I'll get a camera crew and start a show Pimped By My Ride
Old 04-10-2006, 06:09 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

I put less than 35g because I am only 16. lol, I cant afford crap. It will take me prolly until mid summer to mow enough lawns so I can afford my midpipe. I am kind of broke since insurance is a bizotch!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

I play the stock market while fueding over who has the corner of 26th and california with aslant
Old 04-10-2006, 06:33 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Well, it's not an accurate survey as you can make more than $75k a year but not be anywhere close to making enough for it not to matter.

I think it's more of a matter of people being in a career as opposed to school so when "a little cash" is freed up, we're talking a few more zero's. For example, a little refi on the house can free up a quick couple thousand in a jiffy. If you have a couple of kids, that's a couple of thousand extra on your tax return.

In my case, I sold some of my stock options from work that were expiring soon so I figured a ProCharger was a good way to spend my hard-earned bonus from several years ago.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:44 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Miliock

I save half of any OT I make....it's not much, but after time has allowed me to get my rims, suspension, and exhaust (over 1,200 worth of stuff). And it helps that my friend is a ford tech, so I get cheap labor haha
Overtime....yummmm.

I live and breath on overtime. 750~ hours last year
Old 04-10-2006, 06:56 PM
karmstrong_2
2nd Gear Member

I haven't done much to the Stang yet, but I'm looking to put in about $1500 worth of mods here soon. I'm a full time student and get my money from a summer job. The only way I've found to be able to do all these mods is to do the installing yourself...or at least find some place that will do it cheap, otherwise you might as well plan on paying at least double for the mods you plan on putting. That is if you have to have it done in a shop somewhere. A good example, just a few weeks ago my friend got a quote from a Ford dealership...$2000 to have a new X-pipe put on his car, I sh*t you not. He ordered the part on his own for $200 and we had it on his car in 45 minutes. So personally I try to do everything I can myself...not only is it WAY cheaper, but it's a good way to learn about cars and such....
Old 04-10-2006, 06:58 PM
StriktlyGT
2nd Gear Member

I stopped at $75,000 cause after that point, saving/finding 4-$5000 at a time wouldn't be nearly as hard compared to if u were making less than half of that.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:01 PM
StriktlyGT
2nd Gear Member

I'd love to be able to do mods myself, but don't have the knowledge or space to even begin on anything other than an oil change. So I guess it'll just take patience until I get "settled"
Old 04-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

Well, it's not an accurate survey as you can make more than $75k a year but not be anywhere close to making enough for it not to matter.

I think it's more of a matter of people being in a career as opposed to school so when "a little cash" is freed up, we're talking a few more zero's. For example, a little refi on the house can free up a quick couple thousand in a jiffy. If you have a couple of kids, that's a couple of thousand extra on your tax return.

In my case, I sold some of my stock options from work that were expiring soon so I figured a ProCharger was a good way to spend my hard-earned bonus from several years ago.
Yep good point. I have three kids and between my wife and a new house we bought just under two years ago almost at triple digits for our income last year and I STILL don't have to cash to do any significant mods (or to consider a new car for myself yet) Back yard landscape and other stuff just keeps sucking the 'free' cash out the window...
Old 04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
StriktlyGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, thats the futuere that is haunting me and that's where skills in hiding the credit card bill might come in handy. Not sure if this plan will work though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you afford your mods ??