4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Predator Tuner ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:37 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Predator Tuner ?

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

ORIGINAL: mself52

yes you are correct fool if you do not advance timing!!!!!!! advancing timing increases HP and higher octane gas has less carbon causing less carbon build up in the engine thus increasing engine life.....so STFU
But since he hasnt advanced the timing, like he said, then he wouldnt need a higher octane. Learn to read idiot.
The predator tune itself advances the timing, and leans the A/F mixture, without the user making any adjustments to the canned performance tune.

Learn how a Predator operates, idiot, especially before giving bad advice to anyone using it on their vehicle, idiot. Or, as mself52 put it, STFU until you know what you're posting about.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:48 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Why can't we all just get along? Sheesh, if you disagree, disagree INTELLIGENTLY! Christ. All this name calling, you'd think we werent adults, and were junior high school kids....

Anyway, I personally cant comment on the timing/fuel stuff... I HAVE to use 93 Octane. And yes, 93 Octane IS better for the engine, runs cleaner, and leaves less deposits, hence the reason why people will sometimes use the next grade up every so often to help run the car cleaner (I know someone will disagree to that, so let the flaming begin...) Anyhow, if you don't hear pings/knocks or whatnot, and DID NOT touch the timing, go ahead and stick with 87,or 89:-p
Old 04-12-2006, 02:07 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

True, but whenever somebody throws out the "idiot" comment, as was done to me in this case, it must be corrected. Especially when it is teamed with bad advice. I have a good amount of experience with the Diablo Predator, both with the canned tunes that come pre-loaded on it and custom tunes, as well as datalogging with it. Advising anyone to run 87 octane fuel after downloading the Predator performance tune as it comes is simply bad advice, and this will cause pre-detonation issues with an engine whether it's audible or not.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:33 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Running a higher octane then you need does not clean your engine (in a good way).

Higher octane gas is used to reduce the likly hood of detonation. But wait how does that work! They make it harder to burn! A higher octane gas say 93-94 in a 87 octane tuned has the potential to not be burned completely, Not burning compeltely with a catted car = ruined cats (over time). It "cleans" the motor because all the fuel is not burned, so you ended up washing the exhaust valve with fuel, cleaning it. But you are damaging the cats with every exhaust stroke.

Higher the octane the harder it is to burn, it doesn't clean your motor (like most people thing it does), period.

Some cars can't run 87 stock, even though they are tuned for it. My car couldn't run 87, it pinged pretty bad, 89 caused a flat spot in the RPM range. so from then on it has had 91 or better, even stock. I tried to switch back and got the same results. I run a predator tune now fully advanced with 93 and I have to retard the advance a bit near the end of the summer when it gets muggy because the car starts to ping.

Now for the predator. The canned Diablo tune bumps timing by about 10 degrees over the stock 10. It is advised to run 93 in a tuned car because GT motors do not have knock sensors and most people don't/can't pick up on detontation, which usually occurs only at higher RPMs. Add the fact the Diablo tune leans out the pig rich factroy tune to help make more power increases the likly hood of pinging.

Bumping the timing to 10 on the tune = 2 degrees. You won't really feel a SOTP gain. I had my timing a the stock Diablo tune pulled, turned it up and pulled and I gain 5hp and 6tq at the wheels.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:49 PM
mself52
3rd Gear Member

well one thing bout that is that it doesnt just raise the timing 2 degrees.... it increases a % which might be 2 degrees like you said idle but at WOT that % would be a higher degree.... and i didnt say it cleans your engine i was saying it burns cleaner (with the advanced timing) so less carbon build up..
Old 04-12-2006, 05:11 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

It doesn't burn cleaner because of advanced timing, it doesn't burn cleaner at all. With advanced timing you run the risk of causing several flame fronts which result in pinging (detontation). By increasing the octane you reduce the chance that additional flame fronts are created because the higher octane fuel is harder to ignite and burn. The fuel itself burns the same, it gives off the same hazardous chemical compounds that are filtered out by the cats. It only gives the apperance of lest deposits because you are washing the componets with raw fuel, which destroys the cats and is hazardous for the enviroment.

Yes it is a percentage, the most advance you will see is 36 or so with the 10% advance, so you pick up a 1degree or so more over idle
Old 04-13-2006, 03:40 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Great Cornholio

yes you are correct fool if you do not advance timing!!!!!!! advancing timing increases HP and higher octane gas has less carbon causing less carbon build up in the engine thus increasing engine life.....so STFU
But since he hasnt advanced the timing, like he said, then he wouldnt need a higher octane. Learn to read idiot.
The predator tune itself advances the timing, and leans the A/F mixture, without the user making any adjustments to the canned performance tune.

Learn how a Predator operates, idiot, especially before giving bad advice to anyone using it on their vehicle, idiot. Or, as mself52 put it, STFU until you know what you're posting about.
Really? So im guessing you have the tuner and have had the predator tune put on-like I did. I even advanced the timing 4 degrees over the Predator tune and could still run 89 octane. No pinging, no detonation. Maybe you should try something before you start stating what you think are facts. You CAN use 87 octane with the Predator tune. They just advise against it so they are not liable if some1 ****s something up. I did it and had 0 problems. But then again you appear to be GOD and know everything.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:49 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

So how did you advance the timing 4 degrees over the stock predator tune? [>:] The most you can get is 10%, which at WOT with the most advance you would see is a bit over 3degrees with it already fully advanced.

You being able to run 89 [sm=bounceybounce.gif] could for you [sm=smiley32.gif]. Diablo advises 93, I have and need to run 93. One needs to be careful when advanceing the timing (which by the way if you advanced it to say "4" that's not 4 degrees thats 0.8degrees at idle and I am not surprised you can run 89 then) because there is a higher potential to ping (again which most people don't/can't pick out at high RPMs) which is very bad for a motor.

ORIGINAL: The Great Cornholio

Really? So im guessing you have the tuner and have had the predator tune put on-like I did. I even advanced the timing 4 degrees over the Predator tune and could still run 89 octane. No pinging, no detonation. Maybe you should try something before you start stating what you think are facts. You CAN use 87 octane with the Predator tune. They just advise against it so they are not liable if some1 ****s something up. I did it and had 0 problems. But then again you appear to be GOD and know everything.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:25 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

It's advising somebody to run lower octane fuel in THEIR vehicle after installing the Predator tune that's wrong. What Matts00GT does with his own vehicle is his business, but giving out wrong information to others based on what he "thinks" or "hears" makes it everyone's business.

Yes, I have dyno-ed and datalogged after installing several versions of canned Predator tunes, since Diablo first came out with the Predator for Mustangs, and custom Predator tunes. I also run a dedicated wideband A/F monitor on my vehicle at all times. This provides factual numbers, not opinions of whether I hear pinging or pre-detonation. Using lower octane fuel will result in pre-detonation issues after installing the canned Predator tune, some of which your vehicle's ECU can compensate for by retarding timing. This will result in the loss of any real performance gains you may have realized by installing the tune, in which case you would have been better off simply running the factory tune.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:05 AM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

question... I have the predator on my 02 GT, but I have also installed 24lb injectors... anybody have any suggestions on what i need to do, i think when I installed the injectors i'm running really rich... I can take them off if need be. Not really sure on what to do??

Quick Reply: Predator Tuner ?