4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking to possibly build a High RPM Engine...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:02 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default Looking to possibly build a High RPM Engine...

Hey Guys w/ the Built Engines,

What are some of the constraints of a mostly OEM Set up in terms of High RPMs?? I like to cruise in a high RPM, as well as drive in a high RPM, and just wanted to know if you guys have any recommendations, or things to look out for?? I'm pretty settled as to what I'm using for hardware, but am looking for a possible low cost/high yield solution... I'm not talking junk parts, just affordable..

What kind of RPM's do most of you guys run in?? Max RPM's??

I'm not looking for a ton of HP.. My target HP/TQ is just around 400hp (wheel/crank, makes no difference) I figure that's fairly reachable w/ a spray of Nitrous... Supercharger would be cool, but don't know if I could control myself.. Seriously..

TIA

JT
Old 04-11-2006, 09:23 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking to possibly build a High RPM Engine...

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

What are some of the constraints of a mostly OEM Set up in terms of High RPMs?? I like to cruise in a high RPM, as well as drive in a high RPM, and just wanted to know if you guys have any recommendations, or things to look out for?? I'm pretty settled as to what I'm using for hardware, but am looking for a possible low cost/high yield solution... I'm not talking junk parts, just affordable..

I'm not looking for a ton of HP.. My target HP/TQ is just around 400hp (wheel/crank, makes no difference) I figure that's fairly reachable w/ a spray of Nitrous... Supercharger would be cool, but don't know if I could control myself.. Seriously..

TIA

JT
You don't want the stock shortblock to see past about 6200 RPM. That is where I have my fuel cutoff set at.

For anything more you really need to replace the stock bottom end, and maybe the valvesprings.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

TIA

JT
DEstroke your engine if you want high rpms...
Old 04-11-2006, 09:38 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: randy78045

TIA

JT
DEstroke your engine if you want high rpms...
Not really. I run mine up to 7000 rpm and it's a pushrod engine. I don't really see the point in building a high rpm engine just for the sake if it though. On the street you will get beat by cars that make way less power than you because you won't be in the power very often. High rpm engines tend to be very peaky and not have good drivabilty. To me it's just a waist of money and your car will most likley be slower than it should.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:41 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

I think youre right... i think that most people who destroke their engines race track... true?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:30 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I guess I should have included a little more info, or been more specific...

I'm really looking for a very reliable set up, that sees 3K RPMs on a regular basis, since that's where I tend to drive when I'm on the road... I didn't know that the stock block could only really hand 6200 Rev's, which is fine, but that's good to know..

Parts I was considering were OEM Cobra internals, since they're OEM, they are made for regular abuse, and decently priced; Bottom end girdle since I also plan on Nitrous; VT Cams since I didn't want to skimp w/ Titaniun Retainers/springs (don't remember who made them, have it written down though); and for good measure I was planning on throwing one of the new Modular Power+ Lower Intake Mani/Upper Plenum combo's on, sice the P51 is a bit on the steeper side..

Like I had mentioned though, I'm not looking for a million horsepower, just about 400+/- at the crank, minimum.. Just about everything else is done, in terms of suspension, brakes will be on this weekend, tranny swap is almost done, etc....

I guess the only thing I haven't really looked at was Head-work.. Anyone know what kind of restrictions the stock head have, maybe in terms of power, or airflow??

JT

Old 04-12-2006, 08:49 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Umm.. I drive on the highway at 80mph every day of the week and thats right at 3,000 RPMS for me with 4.10's... And the redline of 6800 and fuel cutoff of 7k on the cobra's is nice also [8D]
Old 04-13-2006, 02:09 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

ever seen a big single turbo supras dyno sheet. yeah not good for anything except highway battles and running 12.0's at 150. if you have a car that has high rpm your good need some steep gears. my suggestion is get SHM road race cams. they will give you a flat torque curve from 4100-7200 rpm. but thats about as high as your gonna want to go