4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

automatic shift kits

Old 04-18-2006, 01:18 AM
ghoste
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: automatic shift kits

ORIGINAL: rudemood12

actually, they are both transgo kits. i simply bought the transgo kit from jsdperformance.

if you read closely at the transgo site, under the info for the SKAODE kit, it says for 'harder shifts' go with the HD kit. now, is there really a difference between what the SKAODE kit does vs having 'harder' shifts with the HD kit?
Well, If they advertise it being stiffer, then I'd assume it is. I will let you know when I'm done
Old 04-18-2006, 01:43 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

I just purchased the HD2 kit for mine and havent had it installed yet. So, I purchased the harder shifting one? I think there is one that is just a "rebuilder kit" which you put in when rebuilding the tranny and uses strong parts and has less slipage and the other one which is much harder to install. Not sure, I asked about this before and was told to get the HD2 kit. Hopefully it doesnt throw me around in the car while shifting....
Old 04-19-2006, 02:59 PM
kontroldkhaos
2nd Gear Member

just ordered me a new torque convertor, tci saturday night special..good choice or not? http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

and as soon as i get that im taking it to the tranny shop and having it installed, performance tranny rebuild kit and throwing in a stage 2 shift kit...hows that for a mod?

any comments from the peanut gallery,lmao
Old 05-13-2008, 02:14 PM
kushal_22
1st Gear Member

Hey Guy`s
I am looking into gettinmg a shift kit(Transgo Stage 2) but i do not know what to order for a T- Cooler can someone please help? Also I Gather that I have the AODE Trans correct?
One more thing I see Alot of kits with the years they will fit and it ussually stops at 93 is this something i should be worried about?

Thanks
Mal
Old 05-13-2008, 03:37 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ToplessGT

Should make the auto actually shift instead of "float" into gear
Gotta hate that damn "float" sh*t! [:@]
Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

Hey,[/align]I dont have a cooler, dont need one. People will say you do, but unless your at the track all the time, I wouldnt worry about it. As for the shift kit I have Im pretty sure its http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANSGO-FORD-AODE-4R70W-SHIFT-KIT-MUSTANG-5-0-4-6-F-150_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33727QQihZ009QQitem Z190221595025QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW this is the kit I think I purchased, and the place as well. I also put in 373 gears and now it rocks.I dont use it as a daily driver, but could since the shift kit only really shifts hard when "getting it on". hope this helps[/align]
Old 05-13-2008, 05:58 PM
kushal_22
1st Gear Member

Ok Thanks
This Helps alot.

Regards
Mal
Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 PM
johnr2001gt
2nd Gear Member

do the j mod valve body swap much better then a shift kit.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnr2001gt

do the j mod valve body swap much better then a shift kit.
+100

All you need is a drilled seperator plate and 2 new gaskets and you are ready to go.
I purchased my plate from VAP and am very happy with the service and shipping.
I asked a million questions, well almost, and got replies sometimes within minutes of asking.
Very friendly and fast shipping.

http://www.vapauto.com/

For *me* the Jmod was the only way to go.
The guy, Jerry, was an engineer on the 4r70W and nobody knows more about that tranny than he does.

There are 48 dozen ways to get firmer shifts on an automatic but all are not equal.
Some compromise the longetivity of the tranny and I was just not interested in that as my car is a DD but of course suffers from the slip and slide shifting that all stock stangs (auto) suffer from.

I installed the Jmod plate and a B&M cooler and the car is like a different animal.
Fast, crisp shifts that are pleasent for DD but will easily chirp the tires if you go 75 percent throttle or so.

Just the way I want it.

Follow the instructions, keep things SQUEAKY CLEAN, don't drop your check ***** and take it slow and you should be able to do this.
One real plus with the Jmod is NO DRILLING OF THE VALVEBODY is needed.
Just the seperator plate and if you buy a pre-drilled plate you can always re-install your stock plate if you don't like the mod.

Lot's of great tranny information here:

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 PM
msimboli

i just had my tranny rebuilt(96' gt vert). new hd coneverter, hd clutches, hd bands, hd sprags and a shift kit. the shop tore it down to the case and rebuilt everything, even put in a new planetary gears. it shifts fast and hard. the rear end gets swirly from first to second and it still has the stock 3.27's in it. also got a 12 month 12k waranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: automatic shift kits