4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pinging at high RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default Pinging at high RPM?

I raced some guy tonight, and at either 3rd or 4th gear (auto) and at high rpm (4k-5k) I heard "pinging" from my engine. The other gears, 1st and 2nd seem to have no issues.

I have 93 octane gas (sunoco), close to new plugs (less than 15k on them), and the tuner. I _never_ edited the spark advance in my tune.

I remember it used to do it without the tuner as well - but very very very little and once in a blue moon. What does everyone think the problem is?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2006, 01:13 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pinging at high RPM?

cant using a high octane gas cause engine pinging if you don't have the sufficient mods to burn up that fuel? i dunno for sure...anyone else?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:14 AM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

Posibly bad gas? Try using your tuner to take off 2* of timing and try again.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:24 AM
deesgt
2nd Gear Member

Higher octane fuel would not cause your car to ping. The octane rating is simply the ability of the gas to resist combustion. Higher octane would have a higher resistance. That is why guys who get pinging say with 87 octane will step up to 89 or 91. I had to move up to 89 in my car even though the owner's manual calls for 87. Apparantly carbon deposits have over time slightly increased the compression and I get pinging under heavy load when I use 87.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:38 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

So should I retard my timing and see what happens? Wouldn't I loose power too? Why wouldn't this happen during first and second gear?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:04 AM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

When I got my car tuned for 93 octane, my tuners said if it ever pings or knocks take out 2* and go from there. My Xcal lets you take timeing out in certain RPM ranges, so I could take out 2* from 4-6k if that was were my problem is. Try it. Ohh and if you lose power its better than losing your motor!
Old 04-16-2006, 02:13 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dajawu
Ohh and if you lose power its better than losing your motor!
True :P

Dumb question:

Any reasons, or ideas, why mine would be pinging...even though someone with the same mods won't be pinging?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:14 AM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

I copied this off a website for you, other than that it could be bad gas. I have seen that happen around my area. I know of one gas station that got shut down for doing something to their gas. I forget what the details were but it was in the local paper.

"...The piston can overheat and knocking can and will occur. This knocking is caused by ignition of the gas/air mix in your cylinder before the spark of the spark plug. This causes temperature and pressure peaks that will melt your piston, crack your cylinder head, and drop one of your exhaust valves. You have heard about those abrupt deaths of air cooled engines..."
Pinging sounds like rocks being thrown around inside your engine. It will never happen at idle, may happen at part throttle, but is most likely to happen at full throttle. It is usually accompanied by a small amount of smoke out of the tailpipe, but don't rely on that.

Pinging is like... taking a cutting torch to your combustion chamber. Your engine can stand anywhere from less than one second to perhaps minute of pinging before it suffers permanent and serious damage, depending on conditions.

The hotter your engine is, the more likely your engine is to ping. The farther your timing is advanced, the more likely your engine is to ping. The higher your compression ratio is, the more likely your engine is to ping. The lower the octane of gas you use, the more likely your engine is to ping.

So, in order to minimize the risk of pinging, do the following:

Make sure your engine doesn't over heat!
Make sure your timing is not too far advanced.
Make sure your compression ratio is not too high (< 7.5 to 1)
If necessary, use higher octane gas.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dajawu

I copied this off a website for you, other than that it could be bad gas. I have seen that happen around my area. I know of one gas station that got shut down for doing something to their gas. I forget what the details were but it was in the local paper.

"...The piston can overheat and knocking can and will occur. This knocking is caused by ignition of the gas/air mix in your cylinder before the spark of the spark plug. This causes temperature and pressure peaks that will melt your piston, crack your cylinder head, and drop one of your exhaust valves. You have heard about those abrupt deaths of air cooled engines..."
Pinging sounds like rocks being thrown around inside your engine. It will never happen at idle, may happen at part throttle, but is most likely to happen at full throttle. It is usually accompanied by a small amount of smoke out of the tailpipe, but don't rely on that.

Pinging is like... taking a cutting torch to your combustion chamber. Your engine can stand anywhere from less than one second to perhaps minute of pinging before it suffers permanent and serious damage, depending on conditions.

The hotter your engine is, the more likely your engine is to ping. The farther your timing is advanced, the more likely your engine is to ping. The higher your compression ratio is, the more likely your engine is to ping. The lower the octane of gas you use, the more likely your engine is to ping.

So, in order to minimize the risk of pinging, do the following:

Make sure your engine doesn't over heat!
Make sure your timing is not too far advanced.
Make sure your compression ratio is not too high (< 7.5 to 1)
If necessary, use higher octane gas.
To be honest.... I'm really worried about this ...

It was pinging for at least 10-15 seconds or so...

EDIT: After thinking this through - a lot- I tried a run this morning doing at least 120, and had no pinging issues - so maybe it was the gas.