4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 03:00 AM
fresnoGT

Default Gears

what exactly do gears do? what else would i need to buy if i bought gears? alot of people say to get them, do they give you alot of horsepower gains? i have an 02 gt 5 speed. i have a k&n intake and flowmasters, thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gears

research, research, research.

in addition to the purchase of gears you should get an installation kit and something to recalibrate your speedometer for the steeper gears. they dont actually add any horsepower, but they help acceleration a lot and can shave a few tenths off your 1/4.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

u will not gain any more HP than you already have in your car. however to utlize the hp to the maximum ability, the higher gear ratios allows you to accelerate much quicker while maintaining a relatively high RPM setting (higher than the normal RPM setting) when cruising. for example if your stang is in 3rd gear on stock gears, the rpm setting may be at 1600-2000 RPMs while getting higher gears will set to at around 2000-2500 RPMs depending on how you shift.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:30 AM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

Would I need to get my Speedo recalibrated(sp?) on my 96' GT If I got gears? Could the tuner change that, cause in 2-3 weeks I'm buying package with gears and tuner.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:31 AM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

Yessir. Otherwise your tach is all "omgwtfbbq"
Old 04-17-2006, 12:07 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: St4ng07

Would I need to get my Speedo recalibrated(sp?) on my 96' GT If I got gears? Could the tuner change that, cause in 2-3 weeks I'm buying package with gears and tuner.

no. no no no. no.

A tuner will not allow you to change your speedo in a 96. You will either need a speed sensor gear or a speed cal. You can try to use a tuner all you want, but the computer does not control the speedo on the stangs with an analog odometer... New edge and SN stangs are different on this.

Infact.. the shop I took mine to to get my gears done swore up and down they could change it since they have all the ford equipment to reflash the ecu.. I didnt think they could.. they kept my car an extra 5 hours while they were on the phone with ford trying to figure it out before they gave up. I really should have bet them something...
Old 04-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

yea... if i change gears... what exactly do i need to recalibrate the speedo and whatnot? and where can i find it?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

I plan on getting gears soon on my 99 so I will learn soon about this..

However, on my old 92 GT I changed the gears.. To fix the spedo then all I had to do was buy a $5 part and follow the cord into the tranny.. Unscrew it, swap out this plastic part and done.. I'm sure its not the same on these newer cars but thats how it was done back then.. Sounds like you will get your gears before me so post when you find out..
Old 04-17-2006, 06:25 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty Powers

yea... if i change gears... what exactly do i need to recalibrate the speedo and whatnot? and where can i find it?
What ratio are you planning on going? they sell a 5 dollar 23 tooth gear that you can swap out.. which is made for 3.55's. Will be close enough if you get 3.73's also.. but with 4.10's I was still pretty far off. I ended up buying a speed cal from mustangtuning and installing it. Speedo is accurate now.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:42 PM
demon_head
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaV

ORIGINAL: Shifty Powers

What ratio are you planning on going? they sell a 5 dollar 23 tooth gear that you can swap out.. which is made for 3.55's. Will be close enough if you get 3.73's also.. but with 4.10's I was still pretty far off. I ended up buying a speed cal from mustangtuning and installing it. Speedo is accurate now.
U sure about the 23 tooth gear??....cuz i went that route w/ mine (3.73's) and my speedo is still all fugged up, off by about 10 mph (says i'm going 90mph when i'm really going 80mph), so i've got another one with 18 teeth on it...maybe it'll be closer now, just haven't put that one in......my car is an auto to, but i don't think that'll make that much difference...or will it? Less teeth on the speedo gear will slow the speedo down right?

Quick Reply: Gears