4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

oil in the #4 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:37 PM
poonslayer

Default oil in the #4 cylinder

i lost power while driving the other day.so i went to get it scanned and it came back that the #4 had a problem. I pull the plug and look. low and behold theres oil on the plug. I have heard many options but the worst i heard is rings. wha is your thoughts fellas.I hope its an easy fix but knowing my luck its not. If it is ring im going to rebuild but put in forged internals and a crank. your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:14 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: oil in the #4 cylinder

well what year and milage on the car???

that drastic of a problem will usually come with the rings suddenly going. Or you may be lucky and just have blown the valve seals on that one cylinder, which would be rare
Old 04-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Usually oil on a spark plug means the ring is gonna go.

You are probably going to be in deeper than just a simple rebuild, you might be spending more money than you expected at a machine shop.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:45 PM
mself52
3rd Gear Member

sorry if this is a noob question but i was changing my plugs and on the passenger side the one closest to the firewall seemed to have some gas on it... like liquid is this really bad? and what are the plug numbers for the 04 gt?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/firingorder.php

As for gas on the plug, you actually had gas on the plug? You have a spark problem for sure. I suspect you recently did a tune up? First things first, I would be safe and install your factory tune again with your Predator. 2nd, I would give the car a brief run and quicky pull the plugs, see if you still have gas on the plug. You might have a coil going bad or a bad plug. If you keep finding fuel on the plugs, you might end up with a ring problem just like the guy who made this thread.

I'd solve that fast before you drive the car hard again.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:01 PM
mself52
3rd Gear Member

well **** me stupid that sucks the big one..... so my plug is same as his the number 4?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

If I'm reading your post right, the first plug closest to the firewall on the passenger side, then yes, yours is the same.

I wouldn't freak out, you have a rather simple problem, except where the problem plug is, because it's in such a crappy spot [&:] It could be a bad plug, coil or your ignition, but if it was your ignition you would have a much more broad problem. You can almost rule the ignition out.

So did you perform a tune-up and that's when you found the fuel...or.... what?

As for poonslayer, have you considered buying a short block or even a long block assembly? Like I mentioned before, it's going to be quite a hassle to have your engine rebuilt especially if you aren't doing the work yourself. You might spend 1,500 bucks or so more to just buy a built short block, but it will sure save you a ton of hassle and stress...
Old 04-17-2006, 09:10 PM
mself52
3rd Gear Member

my car had 28k miles on it and everyone was talkin about platnium plugs sucking so i bought some ngk TR55 plugs and was changing them when i found it....it wasnt alot of gas just enought to make it wet on the threads.... and they are the stock plugs that came in my car... now i have ngk tr55

p.s.

i was showing my step dad who use to be a chevy mechanic he said the plug that has gas on it looks like a defect... the prong is bent weird like slopped into the electrode more then the rest kinda like it was dropped or something.... would that prolly be the reason for the build up? it wasnt firing correctly?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

You probably solved the problem, have you checked since?

Like I said, it's not a do or die situation for the next couple of drives you take, but over time, minor stuff like this is exactly why some people only get 60-80,000 miles out of an engine. Beautiful car BTW, is that dark shadow gray?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:18 PM
mself52
3rd Gear Member

yes its dark shadow grey thanks for the compliment... im really hoping it was just cuz it was bent a little like my stepdad said...i put a ps on my last post

Quick Reply: oil in the #4 cylinder