4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I should have lost????

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:08 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I should have lost????

I had a MAC CAI and I have more with the JLT.

I don't think it was a 5.0. Maybe he was playing with me but he turned at the next light.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:10 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

ORIGINAL: 2VNA

I have a JLT ram air, 75MM TB and upper with a Steeda EGR spacer, Steeda timing advancer, Bassani X pipe, flowmaster 2 chamber race cat back, 3:73's and LCA's just for starters.
ok, so ur only real gains are ur intake (i would go with CAI if u have a chance, ram air is worthless, especially under the hood), timing advance, xpipe, and gears. and the LCAs are good but didnt help u in this race. I think he should have walked you unless he was a 5.0. if the 4.6 then he prolly didnt hit his best gear for the speed or just though he would outpower u in whatever gear he was in.
You do not know what you are talking about... The jlt ram air is just about as good as their cai if not the same... He said they caught a light so his LCA did help him in this race by helping him hook better.

But I bet with the gears and everything, plus not knowing if the cobra was stock or not, really helped you pull out the edge against him.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:11 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

have u dyno'd with the two intake systems? the only reason I say that is because CAI kits put the filter in the fender away from engine heat where you get more air because it is colder and more dense. ram air is a good idea, but under the hood you dont get much "ram", and even if u had a shaker hood, ur ram would ammount to 1psi at 80mph. you need to remember how fast ur engine is already sucking air into itself. so you have a filter sitting right in ur hot engine bay and its not recieving any real push of air (even with the scoop option). i dont k now if u feel it or what, but hands down you will recieve better gains from CAI than open ram air.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:13 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96stang

ORIGINAL: 2VNA

I have a JLT ram air, 75MM TB and upper with a Steeda EGR spacer, Steeda timing advancer, Bassani X pipe, flowmaster 2 chamber race cat back, 3:73's and LCA's just for starters.
ok, so ur only real gains are ur intake (i would go with CAI if u have a chance, ram air is worthless, especially under the hood), timing advance, xpipe, and gears. and the LCAs are good but didnt help u in this race. I think he should have walked you unless he was a 5.0. if the 4.6 then he prolly didnt hit his best gear for the speed or just though he would outpower u in whatever gear he was in.
You do not know what you are talking about... The jlt ram air is just about as good as their cai if not the same... He said they caught a light so his LCA did help him in this race by helping him hook better.

But I bet with the gears and everything, plus not knowing if the cobra was stock or not, really helped you pull out the edge against him.
settle down dude, dont throw that around too easily, it just always ends in a sh*t storm. I thought they were going on the highway... i just misunderstood. and if their ram and CAI are the same then they have a crappy CAI, see above post
Old 04-19-2006, 07:16 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

have u dyno'd with the two intake systems? the only reason I say that is because CAI kits put the filter in the fender away from engine heat where you get more air because it is colder and more dense. ram air is a good idea, but under the hood you dont get much "ram", and even if u had a shaker hood, ur ram would ammount to 1psi at 80mph. you need to remember how fast ur engine is already sucking air into itself. so you have a filter sitting right in ur hot engine bay and its not recieving any real push of air (even with the scoop option). i dont k now if u feel it or what, but hands down you will recieve better gains from CAI than open ram air.
The downside to having a cai is also that it makes a bend before the maf... you do not get much out of a cai intake anyways... and if ram air style were that much worse then k/n and jlt would not be making money off of them.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

Ok Ok now, I have not had a dyno but I felt the diffrence with the JLT and nothing with the MAC.

Now i might get shorty headers and 4:10's, I am rebuilding my 8.8 so now would be the time to do that as well. I like the 3:73 that are in there now though.

I just wish I knew what he had, my car is loud and I bearly heard him with my ps window down. I am guessing stock.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:19 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

here come's that mod bug again.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:19 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

the bend makes no difference if the tube is smooth, and K&N makes money off their name and filters, its not the tubes they are selling. Hell, when they advertize they make it seem like the tube is just a nice little perk to buying the filter. I just did a little reading, and the JLT ram air comes with a heat sheild which will bring it closer to a CAI kit with the same filter, however, the colder u can get the better. and a ram air kit isnt that much better than just a filter replacement without any "ram"
Old 04-19-2006, 07:22 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

the bend makes no difference if the tube is smooth, and K&N makes money off their name and filters, its not the tubes they are selling. Hell, when they advertize they make it seem like the tube is just a nice little perk to buying the filter. I just did a little reading, and the JLT ram air comes with a heat sheild which will bring it closer to a CAI kit with the same filter, however, the colder u can get the better. and a ram air kit isnt that much better than just a filter replacement without any "ram"
And a CAI isn't very much better than a drop in k/n filter and a cut up air box...
Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

well, without some support its all about worthless. on a completely stock motor you will not find 10 rwhp out of either set up. but lets say youve done complete exhaust and a TB, a cold air kit could release up to 20 hp over stock

Quick Reply: I should have lost????