4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much boost is needed for 500,600 HP

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 05:43 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How much boost is needed for 500,600 HP

^ HOLY #@$%
Old 04-20-2006, 06:21 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Yeah that's what I said in my head when I saw that picture RB...
Old 04-20-2006, 06:59 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

ORIGINAL: BCisme

it depends on your engine. my new motor displaces 283 cubes, and with my ported pi heads and a custom cam, i was going to be making over 700 rwhp on about 18-20 psi. I'm deploying before the car can be finished, so i'll be selling the motor. too bad, i wanted to do it.!! maybe when i get back. on a stock pi motor, 10 psi with bolt ons and a tune is good for 400 rwhp. with my heads, a 281 4.6 would make about 450-475 hp, and with 15 psi about 600. there's a guy (his car was in (MM&FF recently, silver GT) that made 663 rwhp with a T trim on 302 stroker. it all comes down to your setup. MM&FF built a 655 hp votech engine with comp 270's, and when they put pi cams back in it it lost 105 hp.

i could go on forever with variables and examples, but you get the idea. do you have a specific application in mind?
Good info BC. that's interesting to hear that MM&FF lost that much HP just by switching the cam. If I do do it which will not be untill I get some money. I'm broke at the moment but if I go that rought I would get alot of advice from an engine builder and my tuner. If I dropped in a new short block I would deffinetely try to come up with the cash for the heads, cams, and intake manifold though not to mention trans and converter and so on. Where are you being deployed to? Can't you pick up where you left off when you get back?
im going to kuwait for a year. i'm going to sell this motor and if i still want to build it when i get back i'll just have a new one built.
Well good luck in kuwait. I guess if you have to go over there kuwait would be one of the safest places these days. See if you can get on the forums from kuwait and let us know how it is. You should bring your 700HP Mustang over there and show'm how it's done. J/K
go to steen racing.com (link in my sig) and just look on the main page. the angry camel is taking care of business over there.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:57 PM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

BCisme how much are you looking to get for the motor? Second are you going to Arifjan or Doha in Kuwait?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:29 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlax

BCisme how much are you looking to get for the motor? Second are you going to Arifjan or Doha in Kuwait?

i'll be based out of arifjan. no gurantee i wont move around a little though.

i'll be looking to get 4 grand for the short block, and 600 for the cam, (steen racing custom specs). i'm trying to get a little more info on the block specs from my engine builder, and see if i have any room to come down on that price.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:00 PM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

I spent 2 months there prior to the start of the war. Spent the rest of the time touring Iraq. I was a combat engineer with the 3rd ID.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlax

I spent 2 months there prior to the start of the war. Spent the rest of the time touring Iraq. I was a combat engineer with the 3rd ID.

i spent a few days at division HQ in Bahgdad working with several UMO's.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:08 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows how much boost is needed to achive 500, 600 HP. I know my stock bottom end wont take that much but I'm just interested. If I do it I will drop in a forged bottom end. I run the 3.33 making 10-11lbs pulley with aftercooler and make 400HP. What size pulley would be needed to make the reqired boost for 500 and 600 HP.
You are gonna have a hard time making 600 WHP with a stock engine car, no matter what the boost level, on pump gas. To get to that point in a street car (pump gas) you will need some blower cams and ported heads to go along with your boltons and new bottom end.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

it depends on your engine. my new motor displaces 283 cubes, and with my ported pi heads and a custom cam, i was going to be making over 700 rwhp on about 18-20 psi. I'm deploying before the car can be finished, so i'll be selling the motor. too bad, i wanted to do it.!! maybe when i get back. on a stock pi motor, 10 psi with bolt ons and a tune is good for 400 rwhp. with my heads, a 281 4.6 would make about 450-475 hp, and with 15 psi about 600. there's a guy (his car was in (MM&FF recently, silver GT) that made 663 rwhp with a T trim on 302 stroker. it all comes down to your setup. MM&FF built a 655 hp votech engine with comp 270's, and when they put pi cams back in it it lost 105 hp.

i could go on forever with variables and examples, but you get the idea. do you have a specific application in mind?
Good info BC. that's interesting to hear that MM&FF lost that much HP just by switching the cam. If I do do it which will not be untill I get some money. I'm broke at the moment but if I go that rought I would get alot of advice from an engine builder and my tuner. If I dropped in a new short block I would deffinetely try to come up with the cash for the heads, cams, and intake manifold though not to mention trans and converter and so on. Where are you being deployed to? Can't you pick up where you left off when you get back?
im going to kuwait for a year. i'm going to sell this motor and if i still want to build it when i get back i'll just have a new one built.
Well good luck in kuwait. I guess if you have to go over there kuwait would be one of the safest places these days. See if you can get on the forums from kuwait and let us know how it is. You should bring your 700HP Mustang over there and show'm how it's done. J/K
go to steen racing.com (link in my sig) and just look on the main page. the angry camel is taking care of business over there.
Wow that Camel is not just angry it's down right pissed off. A couple guys that work with me built a 7.68 second Corvette and that was on a racing chassis with a racing body also. Damn I can't believe that Camel is running 7.53 and used to be a street car. How many runs do they get before they have to rebuild that motor? My buddy said they could only run the Vette 8 times before they had to put new rods in it. It ended up costing so much they eventually sold it in pieces. Hooters ended up buying the car without the motor.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

^ HOLY #@$%
Jeez thats not going to be an acutal functioning motor is it??
Whats with the electric motor on the end??

Quick Reply: How much boost is needed for 500,600 HP