4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:31 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Default cams

ok should i get cams before i get the p-51 intake manifold or wait. I wanna get stage 2 cams and was wondering how they would do without the intake manifold at first? anyone know?
thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 11:12 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cams

do the cams first. the manifold i'd hold off on till you at least have built heads cams and bolt ons. for example, when you are making 280+ N/A, with cams, then you will see gains from the manifold. but unless you intend to rebuild the block to spin high rpms for N/A or boost, it's not worth doing, as it is built to work with the 4.6's OHC design and shine above 5K.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:42 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

will i lose any power by getting the stage 2 cams with my mods or should i go with stage 1? Remember, I plan on doing alot more when I get the money like heads, supercharger, and just about everything.
thanks man
Old 04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
MustangMan528
2nd Gear Member

Hey, jpmustanggt. Just curious but i was wondering how much HP your puttin out with those mods? You have basically the same setup i'm going to do with just bolt ons, just wondering how much HP i could potentially gain...
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

i haven't dynoed it but i think i'm pretty close to about 280 maybe a little bit lower.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jpmustanggt

will i lose any power by getting the stage 2 cams with my mods or should i go with stage 1? Remember, I plan on doing alot more when I get the money like heads, supercharger, and just about everything.
thanks man

no, you will gain power. with stage II you will need springs and a tune, i reccomend ditching that predator and getting a SCT tune. you are wasting your money with that predator, your car will never run right or make the power it is capable of. dyno tuning is the ONLY way to go.

you are not making anywhere near 280 right now, maybe 240 without a good dyno tune. with the cams and a tune, you should hit 280 easily.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:32 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

what kind of heads do you have on your car to make that much power?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:19 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

what kind of heads do you have on your car to make that much power?

they are PI heads from an 01 GT. there are no aftermarket castings.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BCisme

thanks man

no, you will gain power. with stage II you will need springs and a tune, i reccomend ditching that predator and getting a SCT tune. you are wasting your money with that predator, your car will never run right or make the power it is capable of. dyno tuning is the ONLY way to go.

you are not making anywhere near 280 right now, maybe 240 without a good dyno tune. with the cams and a tune, you should hit 280 easily.
He has to be higher than 240 with those mods. Our cars dyno between 225-235 stock. With everything he has done I can't imagine he only gained 5-15 HP max. I imagine it is a bit higher than that, probably not 280, but I think 240 is a BIT conservative IMO.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:32 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragon02GT

ORIGINAL: BCisme

thanks man

He has to be higher than 240 with those mods. Our cars dyno between 225-235 stock. With everything he has done I can't imagine he only gained 5-15 HP max. I imagine it is a bit higher than that, probably not 280, but I think 240 is a BIT conservative IMO.

yes, it is a bit conservative. depending on condition of the car, and dyno conditions. with a really good tune on a healthy motor, you can see up to 260 hp with full bolt ons if you have long tubes. without a tune, 240ish, maybe 250 if you have a healthy car.

i speak from experience, not guesses.

trust me, i'm no stranger to modded 2V 4.6 GT's.

Quick Reply: cams