4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW break in period

Old 04-21-2006, 12:13 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default MGW break in period

is there a break in period for the MGW shifter, i just installed one last night. it is very nice, but it takes a little effort to go into gear, but not too much. Will it slip into gear easier over time??

also, the small dust boot on the base of the stock shifter, does this have to get removed and put on the new MGW shifter to cover up the grease and the socket. the dicrections said nothing about that, just to install the large outter boot.

other then that, everything was good, i will be doing a write up when i have some time, and it will be in the "How to" section.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:40 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: MGW break in period

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

is there a break in period for the MGW shifter, i just installed one last night. it is very nice, but it takes a little effort to go into gear, but not too much. Will it slip into gear easier over time??

also, the small dust boot on the base of the stock shifter, does this have to get removed and put on the new MGW shifter to cover up the grease and the socket. the dicrections said nothing about that, just to install the large outter boot.

other then that, everything was good, i will be doing a write up when i have some time, and it will be in the "How to" section.
i did not remove the small dust boot, i don't think, just the larger outer one.

there was a break in period.. or, more accurately, still is. i've only had my shifter on for about 4,000 miles, over a time of one year. sometimes the shifts are a bit hard, but all in all they are MUCH more smooth than immediately after i installed the shifter.
to go into first gear, especially, takes effort, and fifth a little bit.. reverse a little bit. third and fourth are like butter, though, and first to second is pretty easy.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:54 PM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

I JUST INSTALLED ONE LAST NIGHT. THAT THING IS GREAT. BUT YES ITS JUST A TIGHT SHIFTER. I HAD A ROUSH IN THERE BEFORE AND IT WAS REALLY CHOPPY. ITD SLAM GEARS BUT IT WASNT NEAR AS SMOOTH AND THE TRAVEL WAS LONGER. I HAVE FELT THE PRO 5.0'S AND THERE VERY SMOOTH ALSO. AS FAR AS BREAK IN IT DOESNT STATE ANYTHING ABOUT THAT.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:57 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: badsp0rk

there was a break in period.. or, more accurately, still is. i've only had my shifter on for about 4,000 miles, over a time of one year. sometimes the shifts are a bit hard, but all in all they are MUCH more smooth than immediately after i installed the shifter.
to go into first gear, especially, takes effort, and fifth a little bit.. reverse a little bit. third and fourth are like butter, though, and first to second is pretty easy.
i am just concerned because there was alot of dirt and road junk in there, even tho my car is still pretty new. i dont want junk and crud to get into the "socket ball thingy" piont of the shifter.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:34 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: badsp0rk

i am just concerned because there was alot of dirt and road junk in there, even tho my car is still pretty new. i dont want junk and crud to get into the "socket ball thingy" piont of the shifter.
personally, i cleaned any dirt that was in there out.. but there wasn't any dirt really, just a tad bit of dust. i made sure nothing fell into the tranny. after my header install, i'm able to feel some heat through the boot, but besides that, that little boot doesn't make much of a difference, i don't think.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i think i might take a nother look at it and put the smaller boot in sometime soon.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:51 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

bump, anyone else with MGW shifter have any input???
Old 04-21-2006, 03:58 PM
GTowner4life
3rd Gear Member

Ive had mine for 2 months and it is still too stiff. However IMO once your car and tranny have warmed up completly, all the gears are easy to get into.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:25 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

simple as this

IVE HAD MY MGW ON FOR 2 months now.

100% better than stock, at first for like the first 2-3 wks of driving the shifter was stiff.. like BRAND NEW. After i worked it in it slides perfectly into all gears. SOMETIMES its a little rough.. but I assume thats just the 3650 and its synchros.. other than that its GREAT.

i dont even get that loud of a whine when i shift down or up, it sounds cool anyways. i only put the dust cover boot back on but ive heard of some people taking the plastic type peice off the stock shifter and putting in on the MGW so its more quiet.

OTHER THAN THAT, shifter is perfect.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:26 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

oh yeh even though i couldnt find a washer for the top right screw to mount it onto the tranny. i installed it anyways. thats ok right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MGW break in period