4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What Short Shifter Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:04 AM
greiz24
1st Gear Member

Default What Short Shifter Should I Get?

I need your help here guys. I almost had my mind set on the MGW short shifter, but someone wrote to me saying that theirs is giving them some trouble. I want a short shifter that will not only reduce the throw, but also not be a mile high like the stock one. So basically i'm looking for the shortest throw and shortest height possible. Let me know your opinions.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What Short Shifter Should I Get?

tri-ax shifter from steeda... i just got one!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:29 AM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

I have the MGW, and it works flawlessly. The handle is a lot shorter than the stock one. I've had it for about 5 months now, and I drive a lot!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:35 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Steeda is 44% shorter than stock, and is the shortest throw on the market! Ive driven MGW, Pro5.0 and Tri-ax, and perfer the tri-ax over all of them :-p
Old 04-22-2006, 03:49 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

You know something sad...Mazda Miatas come short throw STOCK yet Stangs don't. Wtf is up with that?
Old 04-22-2006, 04:11 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang9946

You know something sad...Mazda Miatas come short throw STOCK yet Stangs don't. Wtf is up with that?
You have to add little things like that to make up for the fact that it's a miata.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:11 AM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

I just wanted to know, you all you guys want a short throw kit? its not fun just flicking a lever into a next gear, and the only time ur gonna benfit for it would be in racing, and even then ur not gonna really notice the difference.

and the laws of phsyics still apply if you decrease the lenght of the pivot point you must incrase the force need to move the lever the same distance.

and this is why short throw shifters are harder to change gears.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:17 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: straitwangin

I just wanted to know, you all you guys want a short throw kit? its not fun just flicking a lever into a next gear, and the only time ur gonna benfit for it would be in racing, and even then ur not gonna really notice the difference.

and the laws of phsyics still apply if you decrease the lenght of the pivot point you must incrase the force need to move the lever the same distance.

and this is why short throw shifters are harder to change gears.
Ah, young grasshopper. You've missed the point that short throw shifters are bent different, thus requiring less force. Second, this was one of the first things I changed in all my cars, because it made my driving experience a whole lot more fun. I benefit from it everytime I sit down in the car. And lastly, you said something about the same distance. The distance is decreased a bunch. Basically, I highly recommend a short throw shifter. I use Steeda, and really like it, although what you decide to use should be your own personal decision and be the one you are most comfortable with.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:14 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

Steeda is 44% shorter than stock, and is the shortest throw on the market! Ive driven MGW, Pro5.0 and Tri-ax, and perfer the tri-ax over all of them :-p
EH, I believe MGW has the shortest throw out there, also has the quiest shifter as well.... I've got MGW and love it...
Old 04-22-2006, 11:40 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greiz24

I need your help here guys. I almost had my mind set on the MGW short shifter, but someone wrote to me saying that theirs is giving them some trouble. I want a short shifter that will not only reduce the throw, but also not be a mile high like the stock one. So basically i'm looking for the shortest throw and shortest height possible. Let me know your opinions.

you want the shortest, mgw is it man.

Quick Reply: What Short Shifter Should I Get?