4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

H or X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 02:37 AM
morbid
1st Gear Member

Default RE: H or X pipe

just pass emmisions and then slap on a O/R H pipe thats what ima do

Old 04-22-2006, 03:34 AM
vinson581
1st Gear Member

i second the MAC prochamber. with the LM1's it sounds MEAN. tonite i was at a car show and the ricers were all revving there cars, so someone was like what do you have so I gave it a quick start and rev, immidiately someone turned around and to quote "holy f***ing S*** listen to that thing, thats bad A**" there were about 5 other GT's and imho and to others the prochamber sounds the best...but be warned cops DONT like it.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:17 PM
01BlueCobraVert
2nd Gear Member

I live in PA. I set off alarms sometimes when I go by and I never had a cop stop me. I have O/R H, w/ 2 chamber flowmaster. I just purchased BBK LT's, BBK O/R X, and I will still have my flows. My car is registered in schuylkill county where we have no emissions. I live in Philly for now got a job out of college. My friend slaps a sticker on my car once a year and I am good to go. If you get pulled over say you just changed it and will put the stock CATs back on. ( I seriously doubt you get pulled over unless you are driving reckless)
Old 04-22-2006, 02:20 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: morbid

just pass emmisions and then slap on a O/R H pipe thats what ima do

Then what do you do one year from then?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:54 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Ok guys its been a while since Ive been on the site, sorry for being a stranger............I do need some input on the X-pipe as well.....

My GT does not have a lot of performance parts but it does have K&N Mass Air Flow System; MAC throttle body/70mm upper plenum; Flowmaster mufflers; B&M short throw shifter; sub frame connectors off a Cobra; and chrome exhaust tips out the back. Thats the run down. I dont want to turn my car into a race car so Im selective of the parts I have installed. I wanted something louder than what I had with my Flowmasters so I did some research and spoke to the dudes at BBK. I found and bought an "X"-pipe that bolted right on to my factory manifold (I dont have nor want headers) and bought the Eliminators to fake out the O2 sensors. I absoluted love the sound, its so freakin loud (louder than my son's GT that has an H-pipe, headers and the works). The only thing I want to improve is the "raspy" sound (like a tin can vibrating against a metal pipe). Does anyone know of and can suggest how to get that sound cleaner? Someone suggested changing the mufflers to maybe a Borla type muffler but I dont want to spend a lot of money to find the sound did not clean up any.

I love my X-pipe because I wanted a bit more HP to go with the sound. Im glad I got it but if I need to clean the sound up a bit, help?????

Ms. Stowe
Old 04-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

I think I'm gonna go with a catted H just so I dont have to change it out every year. Anyone have any links to some good catted H's? It would have to be a shorty to go with the BBK LT's.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StowesStang

Ok guys its been a while since Ive been on the site, sorry for being a stranger............I do need some input on the X-pipe as well.....

My GT does not have a lot of performance parts but it does have K&N Mass Air Flow System; MAC throttle body/70mm upper plenum; Flowmaster mufflers; B&M short throw shifter; sub frame connectors off a Cobra; and chrome exhaust tips out the back. Thats the run down. I dont want to turn my car into a race car so Im selective of the parts I have installed. I wanted something louder than what I had with my Flowmasters so I did some research and spoke to the dudes at BBK. I found and bought an "X"-pipe that bolted right on to my factory manifold (I dont have nor want headers) and bought the Eliminators to fake out the O2 sensors. I absoluted love the sound, its so freakin loud (louder than my son's GT that has an H-pipe, headers and the works). The only thing I want to improve is the "raspy" sound (like a tin can vibrating against a metal pipe). Does anyone know of and can suggest how to get that sound cleaner? Someone suggested changing the mufflers to maybe a Borla type muffler but I dont want to spend a lot of money to find the sound did not clean up any.

I love my X-pipe because I wanted a bit more HP to go with the sound. Im glad I got it but if I need to clean the sound up a bit, help?????

Ms. Stowe

hate to break it to ya, but that's the sound of an x pipe with flowmasters. it's very raspy.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:45 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Albizo66

Ms. Stowe

hate to break it to ya, but that's the sound of an x pipe with flowmasters. it's very raspy.
Ummm I have flowmasters with an X and its far from raspy... You can listen to it here.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

I checked out the sound of your stang and it sounds pretty good, it sounds a lot like my son's 02 GT, very clean!

Your X-pipe is catted? I bought mine without cats and installed the Eliminators. Since I dont have any headers its running off of factory components (except the Flowmaster mufflers). That has got to be why your stang sounds so much cleaner than mine. My son's GT has BBK headers, BBK H-pipe and BBK exhaust so running all those together helps him keep a clean sound. I just didnt want to drop over $800 to set it up like that, especially since Im not in it totally for racing (not saying that I dont).

If that is the sound I have to live it so be it but I was hoping someone, with a similar set up, could tell me about different mufflers or something else to try. If not, Ill get used to it Loud dont bother me at all; if its too loud your too old!
Old 04-22-2006, 08:13 PM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

I checked out the sound of your stang and it sounds pretty good, it sounds a lot like my son's 02 GT, very clean!

Your X-pipe is catted? I bought mine without cats and installed the Eliminators. Since I dont have any headers its running off of factory components (except the Flowmaster mufflers). That has got to be why your stang sounds so much cleaner than mine. My son's GT has BBK headers, BBK H-pipe and BBK exhaust so running all those together helps him keep a clean sound. I just didnt want to drop over $800 to set it up like that, especially since Im not in it totally for racing (not saying that I dont).

If that is the sound I have to live it so be it but I was hoping someone, with a similar set up, could tell me about different mufflers or something else to try. If not, Ill get used to it Loud dont bother me at all; if its too loud your too old!
That's why I just got an O/R H pipe installed on my car today and it is absolutely amazing... Have a slight exhaust leak from the collector on driver side but that will get taken care of when I go out next weekend to get some more goodies installed. H-Pipe FTW in deep/throaty.. X-pipe for loud and raspy.

Quick Reply: H or X pipe