4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rattle when the clutch is disengaged???

Old 03-21-2004, 04:41 AM
Black98Cobra00

Default Rattle when the clutch is disengaged???

When I push the clutch in, the noise stops. When its disengaged, there`s a rattle. Obviously theres something wrong with the clutch(at least I hope so) The motor and tranny only have 10k miles on them. Can anybody help me out and tell me whats goin on?
Old 03-21-2004, 05:07 AM
Yllw4.6

Default RE: Rattle when the clutch is disengaged???

have same problem , might be the release bearing dont know ill change everything maybe in a month or two then i ll find out
Old 03-21-2004, 06:59 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

I have a 96 GT and it also does the same thing. I'm pretty sure the problem is the clutch throwout bearing. If you "upgraded" your clutch you need to get a firewall clutch kit so that it tightens the cable just right.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:46 PM
99 cobra
2nd Gear Member

It is not the Throwout bearing. He said it when he disengaged the clutch it does it. And it doesn't make the noise when he presses the clutch. If it was the throwout bearing he would hear it when he engages the clutch and when he disengages the clutch. I will talk to my mechanic and get back to you on it.

99 cobra
Old 03-21-2004, 07:26 PM
loosenut
1st Gear Member

if the noise happens when letting go of the clutch pedal the problem is the input shaft bearing. if the noise happens when pushing the clutch in it is the throw out bearing.------ASE tech here
Old 03-21-2004, 07:32 PM
timbo3282

The input shaft bearing meaning the bearing that is at the point of the transmission shaft in the crank pulley? I am having this exact problem with my 97' Cobra. There is a loud tapping when the clutch is engaged but it goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed in.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

I am a FORD tech. The problem is the Throw-out bearing. Dont replace anything but that. There is infact a TSB for it. FORD offers an OEM replacment part number that is revised. So either go to FORD and ask for the revised part or buy an after market clutch kit.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:39 PM
loosenut
1st Gear Member

input shaft of the transmission, meaning the bearing that sits at the front of the transmission where the input shaft enters the transmission the input shaft is the shaft the slides inside of the clutch. this bearing is a dangerous one, if this bearing locks up on you it will possibly snap the input shaft,hone out the trans housing where the bearing sits,or possibly explode and creating massive amounts of shaft wobble wich will destroy the intire mainshaft inside the transmission, if you have this noise you want it promtly looked at and fixed ASAP. before it causes some severe damage
Old 03-21-2004, 07:44 PM
loosenut
1st Gear Member

for it to be a throw out bearing the noise would happen while the clutch was depressed waiting for gear selection, or it would happen non-stop if the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed the input shaft is no longer turning therefore the noise stops, if it was the throw out bearing the noise would get worse under clutch release because the release bearing would be under a load. the input shaft only turns if the clutch is applied to the preasure plate, when the friction disc of the clutch is not in contact with the preasure plate the input shaft stops rotating thus the noise dissappears
Old 03-21-2004, 07:46 PM
timbo3282

Casper is 100% correct. There is in fact a TSB I just looked it up on Alldata.com.

TSB# 98-22-2

The part # for the revised Throw-out bearing is F7ZZ-7548-AA. It has improved grease retention properites apparently.

Thanks casper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle when the clutch is disengaged???