4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

engine running hot...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:38 PM
dothack
2nd Gear Member

Default engine running hot...

I recently purchase a stang 96 V8 two days ago. I live in deep south texas with extreme heat on summer. Everytime my family gets a new vehicle, they always take the thermorstant out since of the nature of the weather. I just took mine today out of my stang and yet, I think it runs too hot. It runs between "M" and "A" of normal. It seems that is when the fan kicks in and it drops to death 12 o'clock. I plan to get a good electrical guy to hook up the fan directly so as soon as I start the car..the fan is already running. I just do all this mods since south texas is always hot all year round. Also I added some anti-freeze but I think I ****ed up. I read that you can add up to a max of 75% of antifreeze and everything else of water. I just flush the whole thing and added the full thing of antifreeze and the rest of water. I didn't get the radiator capacity or nothing like that so I'm unsure of the mixture. Could that also contribue to the heating of the vehicle? thanks guys!!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: engine running hot...

so you flushed the whole system and added 1 gallon of antifreeze and the rest water?

your probelm is you removed your thermostat...

i live in arizona and i would NEVER remove the thermostat

a thermostat is basiclly used to hold water in your radiator to cool the water down so it can recirculate back into your engine.... when you remove the thermostat your pumping hot water all the time which isnt good....

if u wanna keep it cool put a lower temp themorstat in it...180 would work
Old 04-23-2006, 08:04 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tac2cul

so you flushed the whole system and added 1 gallon of antifreeze and the rest water?

your probelm is you removed your thermostat...

i live in arizona and i would NEVER remove the thermostat

a thermostat is basiclly used to hold water in your radiator to cool the water down so it can recirculate back into your engine.... when you remove the thermostat your pumping hot water all the time which isnt good....

if u wanna keep it cool put a lower temp themorstat in it...180 would work
+1 to that. just get a 180 thermostat and top off you antifreeze. i go with a 50/50 mix.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:27 PM
dothack
2nd Gear Member

****, i knew i ****ed up. i am just used to removing the thermostat. i used to do that to my old crown victoria and grand marquis and i immediately see improvement so i figure it would work on my stang. well..thanks guys..i will look for a 180 thermorstat...
Old 04-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

ummm... the thermostat's purpose is to hold water IN the block to allow for quicker warm up... nothing more. Faster flow allows for greater heat transfer... I have no idea what kind of physics classes you guys took in school but the whole purpose behind an engine speed controlled water pump is to allow for more flow when the engine is turning faster...

EDIT: another point to show is that antifreeze does not have good heat transfer properties... but it does very well at not freezing... that's why "coolant" is mixed with water (an excellent heat transfer device)...
Old 04-23-2006, 09:49 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

On the coolant mix, 50/50 mix will work for average temperatures that don't get too far below freezing, and an ambient temp of no more than 80-90... If you're getting to normally warmer weather, dilute the mix with more water, but no more than 40% antifreeze, 60% water... colder temperatures? Dilute the mix for more antifreeze.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Krusher

ummm... the thermostat's purpose is to hold water IN the block to allow for quicker warm up... nothing more. Faster flow allows for greater heat transfer... I have no idea what kind of physics classes you guys took in school but the whole purpose behind an engine speed controlled water pump is to allow for more flow when the engine is turning faster...

EDIT: another point to show is that antifreeze does not have good heat transfer properties... but it does very well at not freezing... that's why "coolant" is mixed with water (an excellent heat transfer device)...
i never said i went to any school :P

but thanks for clearing certain things up
Old 04-24-2006, 01:13 AM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

My 96's fan kicks on at about the same position. - a little past the mid point.

I thought mine was running hot too when I first got it as my other fords typically stayed well under the mid point.

I added a 180 thermostat (and did a flush) which did make it run cooler under SOME conditions. If you run the AC the fan will kick on and you'll see the temp drop. Also if you are on the highway taking it easy.

The fan has 2 speeds. With an XTC tuner you can set the low-speed and high-speed temperature when the fan kicks in. I tried putting my low speed fan at 182 and the high-speed fan at 202. The car did indeed run cooler consistently.

Seriously, don't rig the car... Running the fan at high speed 100% will put unnecessary load on your alternator and the fan motor itself. That combined with removing the thermostat completely is probably a good way to lower your mileage and accelerate carbon buildup in the engine.

One mod I have read about is putting in a fan from a Lincoln Mark VIII.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:47 AM
03redGT
3rd Gear Member

ACTUALLY, coolant doesnt just prevent freezing, it doesnt boil as quickly as water does. < i went to school! lol so there[8D]

I too live in arizona, im in tucson what part are you in?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:26 AM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03redGT

ACTUALLY, coolant doesnt just prevent freezing, it doesnt boil as quickly as water does. < i went to school! lol so there[8D]

I too live in arizona, im in tucson what part are you in?
+1, that's true

Quick Reply: engine running hot...