4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust leak and gear whine.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:56 PM
JT76

Default Exhaust leak and gear whine.....

As some of you may know my car has some hatrid for me and its just problem after problem....here are 2 more...It seems as if my exhaust has a leak at the joint between the catback and the H pipe because i can see water dripping out of the joint....is this hurting me? Also my 4.10 gears(motive gears) (that btw feel like they slowed me down (i got my butt kicked by my buddy with a 99GT with a catback& x pipe) sound like they are whining, could they have possibly been installed wrong and thats why they are making noise and seem to not have helped me? I made an appointment for May 17th to have them checked out and have the shop fix my POS diablo tuner that wont correct my speedo and have my CC plates installed. Any ideas here guys?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:59 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust leak and gear whine.....

ya sounds like shims werent shimmed correctly.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:07 PM
JT76

isnt the rule of thumb that once the gears are done your supposed to take it back a week or so later and have them checked? this shop said it was unnecessary. Could this actually be slowing me down? how bout the exhaust leak
Old 04-24-2006, 03:42 AM
JT76

bump
Old 04-24-2006, 04:13 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

i asked my shop if i was suppsoed to bring it back they said no. Any exhaust leak should be fixxed... mine was leaking from h to header so i got huge wiffs of exhaust and it made me sick.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:22 AM
JT76

how would you suggest to fix it? the bolts are already as tight as there gonna go
Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanggang1892

how would you suggest to fix it? the bolts are already as tight as there gonna go
hmm.. dont understand why its leaking then.. idk id probably just weld it... but im tired and cant think straight right now. by any chance is your ac on while your looking under the car??
Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 AM
JT76

nah man no AC on, idk my car is so messed up who knos...do you think that if they didnt shim my gears properly like you said is why my car isnt as fast as it should be? Put it this way, i pretty much feel no difference with the 4.10's and "as advertised" they are a good bang for the buck.....like i said with all my mods my buddy with a near stock 99GT auto put like 3 cars on me
Old 04-24-2006, 04:36 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

when you got them installed did you "break" them in or just start flooring it? cuz if you just started flooring it thats your fault the shims are messed up.... but if you did "break" them in then yes the shims could very well be slowing you dwon and if you have another car i would suggest you drive that to be on the safe side but if not then just take it easy and dont floor it.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:43 AM
JT76

yeah when i got the gears i asked the guy that did it (P&J speed shop , a place that specializes in mustangs) if there is a break in period he said that by the time i got home ( i live 40 miles from the shop) they would be broken in, but i did take it easy for about the first 150 miles to be safe, i have an appt for may 17th to have them look at it (because of the gear whine) and they had better fix it or they will be hearing from my lawyer. I can just hear it now "oh well its not our fault you didnt break them in properly" , they are a bunch of arrogant pr*cks up there

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak and gear whine.....