4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Underdrives with AC on, awesome!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:43 PM
morbid
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Underdrives with AC on, awesome!!

why wouldnt you want UDP's with a stereo system or supercharger
Old 04-25-2006, 09:45 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

superchargers produce big heat so having the water pump turn slower is bad. If you have a BIG watt stereo, same thing with the alternator. Plus, with the smaller crank pulley, your sc will turn slower, too.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:50 PM
macdaddyslomo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

- they are all piggy-back style. That means the aluminum piece is bolted behind the stock (HEAVY) balancer and then mated to the crank. You actually have MORE rotating mass than stock. Yet, you have less parasitic loss.
Actually i looked it up, because I am new to Mustangs, but not UDP's http://www.mustanghowto.com/engine/UDP/UDP.htm

you're statement isn't true...UDP's REPLACE the stock pulley...if you piggybacked some but not all, that would cause belt walk
Old 04-25-2006, 09:51 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

light weight wouldn't make as big of a difference, and yeah I too wonder why ford didn't do a lot of things.

Ford, doing things that would make sense? ha! [8D]
It wouldn't be any fun if they did[8D]
Old 04-25-2006, 09:55 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: macdaddyslomo

- they are all piggy-back style. That means the aluminum piece is bolted behind the stock (HEAVY) balancer and then mated to the crank. You actually have MORE rotating mass than stock. Yet, you have less parasitic loss.
Actually i looked it up, because I am new to Mustangs, but not UDP's http://www.mustanghowto.com/engine/UDP/UDP.htm

you're statement isn't true...UDP's REPLACE the stock pulley...if you piggybacked some but not all, that would cause belt walk

You're not understanding me. Steeda is NOT piggy back (you're correct here), but is steel. Got them on my car. Some March udps are piggy, some are not and have the sfi approved damper (in steel). MAC, that useless crap, is piggy back aluminum. I had them and now they are in my basement, one still mated to my stock crank pulley.

Again, the weight is insignificant for UDPs.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:00 PM
macdaddyslomo
2nd Gear Member

You're not understanding me. Steeda is NOT piggy back (you're correct here), but is steel. Got them on my car. Some March udps are piggy, some are not and have the sfi approved damper (in steel). MAC, that useless crap, is piggy back aluminum. I had them and now they are in my basement, one still mated to my stock crank pulley.

Even in steel, a UDP is going to be LIGHTER...it's SMALLER

and if you think reducing the weight of the rotating mass is insignifigant, you are mistaken
Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

The MAIN reason UDP's give you more USEABLE power is the fact that they are lighter. The underdriving helps too,but they can be an issue

that is not correct, the MAIN part, being lighter certainly helps but is secondary.

remember your first 10 speed, or whatever mult-speed bike you had, when you went up a hill you switched gears to a higher ratio, it made it easier to get that bike and you up the hill, but you went slower. underdrives to the same thing, coupled to the pulleys are the rotating shafts of all the accessories. everytime the engine changes speed the accessories must change speed. the combined weight of the rotating shafts are much heavier than the pulleys. it take less crankshaft power to change their speed when underdriven.

the reason ford doesn't use underdrives is two fold

1) manufacturing concerns of the 4.6 - its easier & cheaper to use the same accessories across all product lines.
2) reserve capacity. over time your cooling system, alternator, power steering pump get weaker. there has to be a safety factor so the majority of people who don't baby their cars like we do still get the reliability they need across all types of driving conditions. we can get away with it because we are highly likely to keep our cars in top shape.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:19 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

I have underdrive pullies w/ a system. No problems for me..
Old 04-25-2006, 11:01 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: macdaddyslomo

Even in steel, a UDP is going to be LIGHTER...it's SMALLER

and if you think reducing the weight of the rotating mass is insignifigant, you are mistaken
I'm so done with this thread. I think Ron White was right.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:32 PM
macdaddyslomo
2nd Gear Member

I'm so done with this thread. I think Ron White was right.
That's cute...a simple debate turns into: "If you don't agree with me, you're stupid"