MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Torque Converter (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/120394-torque-converter.html)

MustangGTftw 04-25-2006 03:06 PM

Torque Converter

Ive read the howstuffworks about it, so i understand the basics of it, but how does getting a torque conversion help performance wise?thanks?

redass02gt 04-25-2006 03:07 PM

RE: Torque Converter

you can launch your auto at a higher rpm with a higher stall. I've seen tests and such where the aftermarket TC has less drivetrain loss than the stock TC as well.

kontroldkhaos 04-25-2006 03:42 PM

i ordered a TCI saturday night special with a 2000 rpm stall,should be here this week..now does that mean my car will not move untill i hit 2000 rpms?sorry if that question seems stupid,but keep in mind im a novice:D but with that and a stage 2 shift kit and a performance rebuild kit will my car move alot quicker ?

stangman2354 04-25-2006 04:34 PM

what is the reccomended stall for a dd. I've heard any where from 2600-3400? What would be best.

justingt 04-25-2006 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: kontroldkhaos

i ordered a TCI saturday night special with a 2000 rpm stall,should be here this week..now does that mean my car will not move untill i hit 2000 rpms?sorry if that question seems stupid,but keep in mind im a novice:D but with that and a stage 2 shift kit and a performance rebuild kit will my car move alot quicker ?
no it just allows you to launch at that rpm. if you try launching now at 2k rpms you'll spin like crazy depending on your tires but once you install that you can launch at that rpm

Voodoo 04-25-2006 05:21 PM

Only 2K??? I think the stock converter has a higher stall than that. Are you sure you didn't get a 3K stall? I think the stock converter in my manual says it's 2400-2800 but I don't think it's as high as 2800. It does depend on how much HP you have though that determines the stall speed. That's why it's important to have one custom built for what you have from a place like Precision Ind. PI makes the best converter hands down but they aren't cheap.

stangman2354 04-25-2006 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

Only 2K??? I think the stock converter has a higher stall than that. Are you sure you didn't get a 3K stall? I think the stock converter in my manual says it's 2400-2800 but I don't think it's as high as 2800. It does depend on how much HP you have though that determines the stall speed. That's why it's important to have one custom built for what you have from a place like Precision Ind. PI makes the best converter hands down but they aren't cheap.
well then what a good brand for a good price?

GodAmGT00 04-25-2006 09:22 PM

Voodoo

A lot of people don't know, and that's why this comes up.. Voodoo brings up a good point...

When you get a Stall Converter, you need to get one that is right for your current and projected modifications.. You can actually make your car slower by putting the wrong stall speed in your car for a few reasons.. It'd be best to call one of the companies and ask them what they recommend w/ your current set up...

In fact, a TC is one of the last things I would get for the car, especially if it's a daily driver.. But that's just me I guess...

JT

DILO2001GT 04-25-2006 09:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

mine stock is like 14-15 k rpms

ghoste 04-25-2006 10:28 PM

quoted directly from Jack at Precision Industries:

"for an 01 Mustang with bolt-on's I would suggest around a 2600 to 2800 rpm stall speed."

He said (on the phone when ordering) If I go any higher, I may notice a "slipping" feeling daily driving. I also told him I was doing cams soon.