4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Parking Brake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: Parking Brake!!!

Turn wheel + stomp on gas = 180.

Civics use the e-brake.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:27 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

god, I hate doing this and it makes me want to kill toddlers, rape their mothers and burn their siblings and then mail anthrax to all government officials before setting off thermonuclear weapons in tibet to kill all the monks, but I'm gonna agree with acer.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:11 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

I believe the E-brake adjustment is under the boot on the lever, there should be a 10mm adjusting nut on the cable end. The e-brake sucks because it is the natyre of the design. When you pull it, it mechanically squeezes down on the rotor, pinching and holding it. Now, the rotor is hot, right? Now the rotor cools down while sitting, and the rotor contracts and the pad looses it's grip. If you car is out of gear, it rolls down a hill, end of story. On newer designed ford vehicles the E-brake is in a little drum inside the back of the rotor hat, it uses little brake shoes, when this setup cools, the little drum contracts making it hold tighter.

John
Old 04-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

god, I hate doing this and it makes me want to kill toddlers, rape their mothers and burn their siblings and then mail anthrax to all government officials before setting off thermonuclear weapons in tibet to kill all the monks, but I'm gonna agree with acer.
The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:26 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!
i don't want to be the only one who gets a qualifier before being agreed with.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Benstang02
1st Gear Member

My friend was trying to tell me that leaving a car in gear while parked on a hill can hurt the car. It seems far fetched, is there any truth to that?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:35 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

i can't imagine how that would possibly hurt the car.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:00 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

The only way i can think is that if it is done on a steep hill for a long duration it might warp that particular gear? but for short term, overnight and such, it should be okay
Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I don't think it could warp the gear, cause the gear is supposed to be strong enough to take the force of the car accelerating at full throttle for a lot of miles, which I think has to be greater than the force of the car stopped on a steep hill. If the gear can accelerate the car up the hill, it should be plenty strong enough to keep if from going down the hill from a stop without any damage.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:48 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 70 MACH I

I believe the E-brake adjustment is under the boot on the lever, there should be a 10mm adjusting nut on the cable end. The e-brake sucks because it is the natyre of the design. When you pull it, it mechanically squeezes down on the rotor, pinching and holding it. Now, the rotor is hot, right? Now the rotor cools down while sitting, and the rotor contracts and the pad looses it's grip. If you car is out of gear, it rolls down a hill, end of story. On newer designed ford vehicles the E-brake is in a little drum inside the back of the rotor hat, it uses little brake shoes, when this setup cools, the little drum contracts making it hold tighter.

John
By newer I'd hope you mean 05+ because that's not the way it works on my 04 GT... the parking brake cable just mechanically actuates the caliper. I haven't had a problem with the brake being lose after parking it overnight or something... the expansion/contraction is so minor.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake!!!