4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:59 PM
mattcooper2005
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust Help

Ok.. I am new to this forum and new to Mustangs really.. I know a little of this and a little of that and can understand things easily enough.. So.. Here is the story:

I Blew out 2nd Gear in my Auto Mustang GT, I have no clue how I did it really.. I took her to a Transmission shop and they put in an all new, 2006 Mustang GT Auto Tranny in it with a new Torque Convertor, Kevlar Bands and Shift Kit.. I was happy.. I just got my car back today.. It supposedly had a full Flowmaster Exhaust on it.. -cough liars cough- When I bought the car they told me this.. I knew it wasn't completely stock because the sound was awesome..

Needless to say, My car has Flowmaster Muffles.. And ALL of the Catalytic Converters are still on it, it is all stock.. I was pissed.. Now I am on e-bay looking around.. I have stock headers.. I want to know EVERYTHING I should get to make my exhaust sound nice, more horsepower/torque.. I want something that is relatively cheap, but will still be nice for my car.. I've heard X pipes and H pipes.. But.. I don't exactly know all about them..

X Pipes/H Pipes.. Bolt up to stock Exhaust manifolds? How far down do they go? What do I hook them up to? Is that all I need or should I get more piping for a full exhaust? I am probably going to rid myself of the Mufflers and get some Thrush's or perhaps New Flowmasters.. But.. I can use my stock exhaust to bolt up to the X/H Pipe I get? Clue me in.. If any of you have like YIM or AIM.. PM me your names that way if I have any questions and you are on.. We can chat.. I need to learn all I can about my car and cars in general.. Like I said.. I'm learning...

Thanks

Matt

P.S. Sorry for such a long story :P
Old 04-27-2006, 10:54 PM
mattcooper2005
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Help

no help?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:27 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

A midpipe (x or H) goes from the headers to the catback. if you have a catback system already (not just welded in mufflers) you should either just get a midpipe. or a shorty midpipe and headers.

If you have just welded in mufflers you should get a complete catback system and go from there.

I have only seen 1 dyno test of a 05 GT and exhaust systems. The results did not impress me much, but I don't think they retuned the engine for the exhaust.

People are not responding much cause this is the 2v section, and your car has the newer 3valve stuff, so you are asking people that don't own a 3v car. I am sure they will be able to help you more in the 3v area.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 AM
mattcooper2005
1st Gear Member

My car is a 96 mustang gt.... they just made the tranny upgraded to a 2006's standards
Old 04-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

First you should get a cat-back ( get rid of your weld in flowmasters ). Look around for videos and sound clips of different exhaust. There are many options depending on how loud, and what type of sound you are looking for.

for catbacks, anything like the SLP loudmouths, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Borla Stingers are going to be louder and sound different than the chambered flowmasters, magnaflows, mac, etc...

Midpipes really bring out the sound of the catback, and add some more power. H-pipes are more deeper and meaner sounding. sound the same as your stock midpipe just louder and deeper. X-pipes will give you alittle rasp, and have a sort of exotic tone at certain rpms. Also on midpipes adding a high flow cat will tone it down a tad.

Heres a clip of my car with magnapacks, and bassani off road X ( no cats ) midpipe...

http://media.putfile.com/Magnapacks-...X-pipe-no-cats
Old 04-28-2006, 02:08 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Heres a clip of my car with magnapacks, and bassani off road X ( no cats ) midpipe...

http://media.putfile.com/Magnapacks-...X-pipe-no-cats
Mhmmm mmm mmm, sounds just like my setup. Don't you just love that nice RIPPING sound it makes as you excelerate thru those gears. I am starting to realize how much impact my LT's have on the sound of the car. Mine sounds exactly like yours except 15 times louder, grant it I do have LM1's, but its the same kind of idea.

Mine is much deeper and deisel like, it grawls like crazy, but then rips just like yours as I accelerate. Sounds good!!